Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

William, William Jr., William the third, etc...

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM
  • 0 Replies

Do you like the idea of a kid being named after a parent? What about if that's made into a tradition and is carried on for several generations and someone has the same name as thier Dad, Grandpa, Great Grandpa and Great Great Grandpa?

My brother was one of those. He was William Stanley the 3rd. The only reason he wasn't the fourth is because somewhere along the line, (I think it was my Grandpa) one of them was named Stanley William instead of William Stanley, but they ALL went by Stan. Also, (again on my Dad's side), I have an Uncle John and a cousin John, which WAS a long standing tradition, but it had had a break for a generation or so. Looking back into family trees and civil war history there was, in our family several men named John during the civil war, (I guess son, dad and grandpa), and one of them fought for the Rebels and one fought for the union.

TBH I was kinda mad when my brother and his wife named their first born son Jacoby instead of William Stanley, and in my heart I blamed his wife, even though I never said anything about it or acted like I was dissapointed or anything, but I found out later that my Mom told my brother not to name him after himself, because it had been a headache to have two people with the same name in her household all those years and she regretted it. They did make his middle name Liam, which is  a nod toward 'William'.

What do you think about this kind of tradition? Have you done it? If your husband were a Jr. or a 'the third' or whatever and wanted to name your son after himself would you automatically agree to it, or would you have reservations, or would it depend on the name?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)