Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you know anyone who "disappeared"?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I've been watching cold case files, disappeared, basically any crime show. I'm wondering how often people go missing and are actually never found, or are actually found alive after years. 

Bump and share your story if you have one

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Replies (241-250):
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I don't know. I've racked my brain and can't think of a single reason leaving people worried and police looking, dogs, searches, resources and all that being wasted on someone who isn't really missing. I just can't. I understand leaving and not telling anyone from your past, that's totally your decision. The waste of resources bugs me.

Quoting viv212:

You seem nice and probably mean well but you don't know what you're talking about.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Telling a police officer at your new location across the country so they can take you off the missing persons list sounds the opposite of selfish.

Quoting viv212:

I gotta cut in here. I don't think you've ever been scared of a person you thought would kill you? After leaving my abuser, I couldn't shower without a knife next to me.

I worked at a DV shelter and you'd be surprised at how many women do this. It's either this or die. The details are no one's business.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Not at all. You're being extreme. You have every right to cut off contact with anyone and everyone if you chose, but have the decency to tell a police officer so they can stop wasting resources on someone who isn't really missing and focus on those that are.

Quoting Anonymous:

thats fine, you are entitled to your opinion.  I suppose I should have just stayed and gotten killed and have my child killed eventually.  It would have  been a better use of police resources.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

I'll be honest, nothing you can say will make me think it's not selfish.

Quoting Anonymous:

Like I said, you dont know my situation or how I came to make my choices.  You arent in a position to judge me.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

The police won't give you up. It is selfish that they use their resources for a person who isn't really missing.

Quoting Anonymous:

You dont know my situation.  I dont know what was done to find me, I dont quite care.  My child's safety and mine were at risk and we did what we needd to.  If that is selfish so be it.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

I hope you don't have police using their resources and family members sick worried about you. That's pretty fuckin selfish.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was that person.  I dropped all ties and communications suddenly, and moved far away, changed my phone, email and erased my fb.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
viv212
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM
2 moms liked this
When it comes to fear of life, the only thing that matters is living.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

I don't know. I've racked my brain and can't think of a single reason leaving people worried and police looking, dogs, searches, resources and all that being wasted on someone who isn't really missing. I just can't. I understand leaving and not telling anyone from your past, that's totally your decision. The waste of resources bugs me.

Quoting viv212:

You seem nice and probably mean well but you don't know what you're talking about.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Telling a police officer at your new location across the country so they can take you off the missing persons list sounds the opposite of selfish.

Quoting viv212:

I gotta cut in here. I don't think you've ever been scared of a person you thought would kill you? After leaving my abuser, I couldn't shower without a knife next to me.

I worked at a DV shelter and you'd be surprised at how many women do this. It's either this or die. The details are no one's business.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Not at all. You're being extreme. You have every right to cut off contact with anyone and everyone if you chose, but have the decency to tell a police officer so they can stop wasting resources on someone who isn't really missing and focus on those that are.

Quoting Anonymous:

thats fine, you are entitled to your opinion.  I suppose I should have just stayed and gotten killed and have my child killed eventually.  It would have  been a better use of police resources.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

I'll be honest, nothing you can say will make me think it's not selfish.

Quoting Anonymous:

Like I said, you dont know my situation or how I came to make my choices.  You arent in a position to judge me.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

The police won't give you up. It is selfish that they use their resources for a person who isn't really missing.

Quoting Anonymous:

You dont know my situation.  I dont know what was done to find me, I dont quite care.  My child's safety and mine were at risk and we did what we needd to.  If that is selfish so be it.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

I hope you don't have police using their resources and family members sick worried about you. That's pretty fuckin selfish.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was that person.  I dropped all ties and communications suddenly, and moved far away, changed my phone, email and erased my fb.  

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM

My friend's neighbor went missing. She was missing a few days before they found her near some train tracks. She was murdered by a kid who sat next to me in study hall.

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:16 PM

That was based on the chicken coup killings, where the kids were murdered soon after being kidnapped.

Quoting viv212:

What the hell how strange.

Reading this made me think of that Angelina Jolie movie where her son went missing and that there was that house full of kids that were kidnapped. Remember that?

Quoting LucyHarper:

Sort of. He was about eight but doesn't remember a lot of it. His uncle put him in the car one day and drove him to this farm and left him there. He remembers that he thought it was strange that it was hot in the winter, so we think it was in the south (he lived in upstate NY). He remembers that it was really isolated, the people told him that if he ran away, there wasn't another house for miles so he would never make it before they found him and when he went into the city with them, he had to say he was their son,. His mother noticed after a few days that he was gone and when she asked where he was her brother told her not to worry about it and that he took care of him, so she let it drop. His teacher finally realized when he didn't return to school after winter break and talked to his friends parents, they all said that they hadn't seen him in a month and were worried, so she called his mother and uncles told them that she wanted proof by monday that he was alive or she was going to the cops, so the uncle went and got him.

Quoting viv212:

Does he know what happened to him?

Quoting LucyHarper:

My husband disappeared for a month as a kid. 

copperked
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I've known two, actually, but one was found. My cousin was killed by her ex-bf in summer 2001 and we didn't know what happened until a few months later. (Actually, we found out the Friday before 9/11). Then there is Kevin Smith, who went to my school and I remember him being a good singer but with kind of a "different" voice when we were in Jr High choir together. He has been missing for over a year: http://missingincalifornia.com/kevinmichaelsmith2011.html

viv212
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Yeah that's what I was talking about.

Quoting LucyHarper:

That was based on the chicken coup killings, where the kids were murdered soon after being kidnapped.

Quoting viv212:

What the hell how strange.

Reading this made me think of that Angelina Jolie movie where her son went missing and that there was that house full of kids that were kidnapped. Remember that?

Quoting LucyHarper:

Sort of. He was about eight but doesn't remember a lot of it. His uncle put him in the car one day and drove him to this farm and left him there. He remembers that he thought it was strange that it was hot in the winter, so we think it was in the south (he lived in upstate NY). He remembers that it was really isolated, the people told him that if he ran away, there wasn't another house for miles so he would never make it before they found him and when he went into the city with them, he had to say he was their son,. His mother noticed after a few days that he was gone and when she asked where he was her brother told her not to worry about it and that he took care of him, so she let it drop. His teacher finally realized when he didn't return to school after winter break and talked to his friends parents, they all said that they hadn't seen him in a month and were worried, so she called his mother and uncles told them that she wanted proof by monday that he was alive or she was going to the cops, so the uncle went and got him.

Quoting viv212:

Does he know what happened to him?

Quoting LucyHarper:

My husband disappeared for a month as a kid. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 42 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM

There was a big case around here last summer. A girl named Mickey went missing. Her case was on dateline or something last night. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 43 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I disappeared. i've been found. 

AidansMomMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I didn't know him personally but someone in my SO's family was hiking or camping or something and then he disappeared. Years and years later some boy scouts found him dead in a cave

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I really think that you have the sesationalized  idea of a missing persons story. The kind that you see on those TV shows tend to be extremely different than what happens in real life. The resources eventually just stop.

Look into the Jenna Lord case. She was reported missing, the police looked for her for about an hour...

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN