Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know anyone who "disappeared"?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I've been watching cold case files, disappeared, basically any crime show. I'm wondering how often people go missing and are actually never found, or are actually found alive after years. 

Bump and share your story if you have one

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Replies (331-340):
Mommyof2n0308
by Marissa on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Now that Im not on that awful tablet I can go into detail..Ill just c/p it from amazon. It really is an amazing book, and Im so proud of her. I never knew this until years into knowing her. She is an AMAZING AMAZING lady. He was 4 not 3.. sorry.

The true story of the disappearance of a deaf boy, four-year-old Jeremy Coots, in 1977, in Atchison, Kansas. A parent's worst nightmare is shared in honest detail by the author, his mother, Melodye Coots Hathaway. The heroic efforts of the thousands of searchers were culminated by the findings of what the Guinness Book of Records (2008) deemed The World's Most Successful Police Dog, Intrepid, a Golden Retriever trained and well loved by former policeman Tom Kazo. Kazo's widow, Donna M. Kazo, edited and designed the book and supplied valuable information to finally bring this heartfelt and universal story to realization.

I read it all in one night, and it weighs heavy on my heart sooo often. I will say, just so how people can imagine a bit how it has effected her to this day... I met this woman when I became pregnant with my son, she was my OBs nurse. Being a single mom I had NO ONE. She would always call and check up on me, she would always reassure me if I went into pre term labor shed be the one in the delivery room since my Mom was so far away and I had no one else. When my son was sooo ill in the hospital she brought me up fresh clothes, food. SOOO darling she is. After realizing I was in her sons class (a son she had almost 10 years after Jeremy) and realizing who she was it all made sense. For the longest time her son was raised by someone else, she went on to have 3 more children but having another son was heart breaking for her and even though she THOUGHT she could handle it I guess she couldnt. She is now a wonderful Grandma and the guilt eats her that she wasnt able to be the Mom to her youngest that she was to Jeremy. She is still AMAZING though, and she ended up marrying an amazing man who take such wonderful care of her, they are soo much in love and there is no denying that. I just can not imagine being in her shoes. Reading the book, you will find out she was pregnant with her second child at the time this all took place. I can not fathom and it makes my heart so heavy knowing such a wonderful, magnifacent friend had to endure this pain!! I dont know if I could live through it, and I dont wanna find out!

Quoting Anonymous:

That's so sad, I can't imagine ever being in her shoes.

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

My friend melodye had her 3 year old son disappear from daycare.She just released a book called Jeremy's cry on amazon. Greatttttt book.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:53 AM
She sounds like an amazing woman an her faith must be strong. Was her son ever found?

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

Now that Im not on that awful tablet I can go into detail..Ill just c/p it from amazon. It really is an amazing book, and Im so proud of her. I never knew this until years into knowing her. She is an AMAZING AMAZING lady. He was 4 not 3.. sorry.

The true story of the disappearance of a deaf boy, four-year-old Jeremy
Coots, in 1977, in Atchison, Kansas. A parent's worst nightmare is
shared in honest detail by the author, his mother, Melodye Coots
Hathaway. The heroic efforts of the thousands of searchers were
culminated by the findings of what the Guinness Book of Records (2008)
deemed The World's Most Successful Police Dog, Intrepid, a Golden
Retriever trained and well loved by former policeman Tom Kazo. Kazo's
widow, Donna M. Kazo, edited and designed the book and supplied valuable
information to finally bring this heartfelt and universal story to
realization

I read it all in one night, and it weighs heavy on my heart sooo often.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

My friend melodye had her 3 year old son disappear from daycare.She just released a book called Jeremy's cry on amazon. Greatttttt book.

Mommyof2n0308
by Marissa on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I just went back and did an edit.. but to answer your question... No, Jeremy was never found. The dog, would always stop right before the river bank with his scent. It is to believe Jeremy fell into the river., no body, nothing has ever been found. Can you even imagine? Okay Im getting teary eyed.. :/

Quoting Anonymous:

She sounds like an amazing woman an her faith must be strong. Was her son ever found?

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

The true story of the disappearance of a deaf boy, four-year-old Jeremy
Coots, in 1977, in Atchison, Kansas. A parent's worst nightmare is
shared in honest detail by the author, his mother, Melodye Coots
Hathaway. The heroic efforts of the thousands of searchers were
culminated by the findings of what the Guinness Book of Records (2008)
deemed The World's Most Successful Police Dog, Intrepid, a Golden
Retriever trained and well loved by former policeman Tom Kazo. Kazo's
widow, Donna M. Kazo, edited and designed the book and supplied valuable
information to finally bring this heartfelt and universal story to
realization

I read it all in one night, and it weighs heavy on my heart sooo often.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I've been seriously thinking of doing this.  Did you plan it or just wake up one day and left?

Quoting Anonymous:

I ran off and started a new life (12 yrs ago) and am totally off the grid but the police know where I am since my family reported me missing and I had to inform  the police that I am not dead and I am safe and happy and dont want my family to even know where I am. They informed my family that I am ok and to stop reporting me dead or missing and told them they can not tell them where I am because it is none of their business.

redneckmama2
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Wow that is about an hour from where we are from. We are from Lovelock. I am very sorry for your loss!

Quoting tinkubz:

Fernley

Quoting redneckmama2:

Would you mind telling me which small town near reno she disappeared from. I am from up around that area but haven't lived there in about 5 years. However my FIL is a cop up there and I am just wondering if maybe he would have been part of it. 

Quoting tinkubz:

My cousin disappeard 2 yrs ago in a small town by Reno. 2 months ago her remains were found in a area they have searched several times before.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Bump! Interesting post!!! Stopped on pg 8. Ok. Ill be back to read!!
BambiF
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:19 AM

No but at my work they have one of those missing child bulletin boards...and some of them date back to the 80s-90s...I always wonder about their families etc..

kckmom3
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Yeah I remember that too--it was October 2011 wasn't it? I don't think they ever did find out what happened to her.

Lisa Irwin was from here. The baby that "vanished" out of her crib in the middle of the night when mom and 2 brothers were home. No sign of a break in and no evidence left.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know these people personally, but a baby went missing a few years ago. Her father refuses to say where she is, and the mother doesn't exactly act innocent, either. Something is very off with the story. Google "baby Kate Ludington MI" to see what I mean.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:04 AM

My ex wasa federal police officer and was abusive. He would even hit me infront of his police buddies. When i finally got up the courage to leave, i was car jacked, held for 6 hours, and almost beaten to death. I was able to escape, thank you Jesus. If i would have be braver i would have done what she did and just up and disappered. Now i have the scars, he beat me in the face with a gun, to deal with for the rest of my life.

Quoting md3mom:

What if your abuser is a police officer? We once lived next door to a woman and her boyfriend who was a police officer abused her.  We saw the physical altercations many times.  One day, she just disappeared.  I really hope that she just ran and did not tell the police were she went.

Quoting Mamasgirl524:

I don't know. I've racked my brain and can't think of a single reason leaving people worried and police looking, dogs, searches, resources and all that being wasted on someone who isn't really missing. I just can't. I understand leaving and not telling anyone from your past, that's totally your decision. The waste of resources bugs me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM

That was at UNCW. I knew them. It was so sad. 

Quoting momto4girzls:

A girl I went to high school with went missing one night after visiting some friends at a local college, they do think she was murdered ,they found her car burned out and have her on video at an atm with two guys standing behind her while she withdrew money and handed it to them, those guys are in prison because of her and another woman from North Carolina, but they refuse to tell where her body is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured