Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I would be embarrassed to be at a table with a poor tipper

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM
  • 228 Replies
5 moms liked this

Poll

Question: How do you feel about tipping?

Options:

I feel the same way as you. It is important

I always tip, but I don't think it's a big deal either way

I tip sometimes, but only when they do a great job

Tipping? I paid for my food; that's enough

Waiter, there is a penguin in my soup again.

Otter... not to be confused with other

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 287

View Results

I cannot imagine tipping poorly while eating at a restaurant. If I were in a circumstance in which I could not provide a proper tip, I would be eating somewhere without a waitstaff. If I'm with someone who tips poorly, I will add to the tip myself.

Not only is the hourly wage for a waiter or waitress well below minimum wage, they have to pay taxes on what they should earn in tips.

Some people do not know this, and, for that, I may judge them less harshly. Those who are aware, and say ridiculous things like, "It's not my fault the system works that way!", and then refuse to tip, are incredibly selfish and rude individuals.

I am not normally a judgmental person, but I strongly believe in fully paying for a service. If one doesn't want to pay for a service, do not go to a place where it is part of the experience.

I always tip, and it's rarely the minimum amount. I tip above the minimum for satisfactory to excellent service. I only tip the minimum if the waitress/waiter does a poor job. I also do not blame kitchen issues on my waiter.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM

We have tipped anywhere from 5% to 50%.  If I'm getting coffee or something similar with "light service" I tip 10%.  If we get mediocre service at a dining establishment we tip 15%.  There have only been a few times where the service was horrid - 5%. But we feel that if you make a good impression you deserve 20%+. 

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM

lol my mom once embarrassed me so much at dinner over a tip I pretended I had to go to the loo and snuck over to the waiter and gave him a tip.  We had a rib dinner =65$ and she tipped 1$  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM

we give 2-3 bucks no matter what the bill is.

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:29 PM

This.  Although I voted other because there have been a few times I haven't tipped when the service was horrible.

Quoting Anonymous:

We have tipped anywhere from 5% to 50%.  If I'm getting coffee or something similar with "light service" I tip 10%.  If we get mediocre service at a dining establishment we tip 15%.  There have only been a few times where the service was horrid - 5%. But we feel that if you make a good impression you deserve 20%+. 

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM
I tip poorly (sometimes not at all) for bad service, the rest I agree with you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AHmom103
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this

I tip well, always have. My husband is sometimes embarassed by it, I'm not really sure why. Even if the bill is only $15, I'm still going to leave at least $5 for a tip, and the higher the bill, the more I leave. Unless I get horrible service. Then they usually just get whatever change is left from paying the bill.

alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I always tip no matter how bad the service, but the amount does depend on the service. If I get horrible service, I will only leave 5-10%. If it is really great service, I will leave 20-30%. 

The only time I have left a restaurant without tipping was because the our waitress was to busy flirting with the bartender to refill our drinks, bring us our food(we waited over an hour hamburgers and then they were cold) and then acted as though it was our fault the food was late.

alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM
11 moms liked this

lol, you realize that most waiters make less than $3 an hour, right? that's only $24 for an 8hr shift. You miss, are the table that gets spit in your food.

Quoting Anonymous:

we give 2-3 bucks no matter what the bill is.

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM

My husband's grandfather used to take us to dinner and tip like $1 and leave a pen or something that he had gotten from the bank.  He was ALWAYS rude to the waitstaff, ate like a pig, made a mess.  It was pretty horrifying.  My husband would always sneak back into the restaurant and leave a big tip and apologize to the waiters.

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I always tip, but the amount depends on the service.  I feel like you about this and am embarrassed when I am with someone that either doesn't tip or is a poor tipper.  Hourly wages for servers are well below minimum BECAUSE they are expected to make up for it in tips.  I think it's in poor taste for someone to sit down, expect service and not leave a tip and say that they are already being paid to wait on people. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)