Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I would be embarrassed to be at a table with a poor tipper

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How do you feel about tipping?

Options:

I feel the same way as you. It is important

I always tip, but I don't think it's a big deal either way

I tip sometimes, but only when they do a great job

Tipping? I paid for my food; that's enough

Waiter, there is a penguin in my soup again.

Otter... not to be confused with other

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 287

View Results

I cannot imagine tipping poorly while eating at a restaurant. If I were in a circumstance in which I could not provide a proper tip, I would be eating somewhere without a waitstaff. If I'm with someone who tips poorly, I will add to the tip myself.

Not only is the hourly wage for a waiter or waitress well below minimum wage, they have to pay taxes on what they should earn in tips.

Some people do not know this, and, for that, I may judge them less harshly. Those who are aware, and say ridiculous things like, "It's not my fault the system works that way!", and then refuse to tip, are incredibly selfish and rude individuals.

I am not normally a judgmental person, but I strongly believe in fully paying for a service. If one doesn't want to pay for a service, do not go to a place where it is part of the experience.

I always tip, and it's rarely the minimum amount. I tip above the minimum for satisfactory to excellent service. I only tip the minimum if the waitress/waiter does a poor job. I also do not blame kitchen issues on my waiter.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
JLS2388
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I tip and I agree with you, if you can't afford to tip, don't go to a restaurant with waitresses or waiters. However, I tip according to service: poor service gets 0-10%, average service is 15%, good service is 20%

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I despise tipping. It should not fall to me to pay the servers, that should be the purview of the employers. I fucking hate tipping.

That said, I always tip beyween 20 and 25 percent. I may despise it but I will not screw over a good server for my resentment of how things are.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM

If someone else is paying and I KNOW they are a poor tipper, I offer to pay the tip. If they pay, and I see that they tipped poorly, I will leave more or go to the restroom and find the waiter/waitress and give them more. I give a minimum of 20%. There was once that we left absolutely no tip. That witch did not deserve anything. It seriously felt like she went out of her way to ignore our table. She never cleared a single dish off of the table, she never refilled a drink, she was rude when she took our order...We complained about her and they comped us our meal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I tip $2.00 regardless what the bill is. I don't think it is my job to pay the waiters.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM

That may be true but they often take care of several tables in that hour. If they are taking care of say five tables and they all tip at least $3 that is an extra $15 an hour on top of the $3.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

lol, you realize that most waiters make less than $3 an hour, right? that's only $24 for an 8hr shift. You miss, are the table that gets spit in your food.

Quoting Anonymous:

we give 2-3 bucks no matter what the bill is.

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

Anonymous
You are a horrible person....you do realize they only make a couple of dollars an hour? And then have to pay taxes based on what they sold not what you actually tipped....and on top of that some have to tip share with the hosts or bus boys?

Quoting Anonymous:

we give 2-3 bucks no matter what the bill is.

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I choose whether or not I feel like tipping. For the most part, I don't. But then again, in Canada, waitresses make $10-18 without tips. Tips are bonus.

Anonymous

I would be embarrassed to be at a table with someone looking over people's shoulders at their receipts to see how much they tipped. 

Willis_Mommie
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM
if its bad service my husband will leave them a penny or nothing...if its great service they usually will get 20 bucks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TattooedMomto4
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Depending on where we eat I tip 10-30%. If we are out to eat something simple I generally tip $3-$5 (on a $12-$15 tab I think that that is generous). If the bill comes is over $20 then our tip is 20%-30% depending on the service. I have some times given more than 30% as well. I have no issues with tipping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)