Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I would be embarrassed to be at a table with a poor tipper

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How do you feel about tipping?

Options:

I feel the same way as you. It is important

I always tip, but I don't think it's a big deal either way

I tip sometimes, but only when they do a great job

Tipping? I paid for my food; that's enough

Waiter, there is a penguin in my soup again.

Otter... not to be confused with other

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 287

View Results

I cannot imagine tipping poorly while eating at a restaurant. If I were in a circumstance in which I could not provide a proper tip, I would be eating somewhere without a waitstaff. If I'm with someone who tips poorly, I will add to the tip myself.

Not only is the hourly wage for a waiter or waitress well below minimum wage, they have to pay taxes on what they should earn in tips.

Some people do not know this, and, for that, I may judge them less harshly. Those who are aware, and say ridiculous things like, "It's not my fault the system works that way!", and then refuse to tip, are incredibly selfish and rude individuals.

I am not normally a judgmental person, but I strongly believe in fully paying for a service. If one doesn't want to pay for a service, do not go to a place where it is part of the experience.

I always tip, and it's rarely the minimum amount. I tip above the minimum for satisfactory to excellent service. I only tip the minimum if the waitress/waiter does a poor job. I also do not blame kitchen issues on my waiter.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Replies (181-190):
baquick
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
It sickens me how many cheap ass people there are toward servers! It's mind boggling. Smh.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Who said I wouldn't??? LMAO don't be a bitch.

Quoting Anonymous:

And that's why American servers hate Canadian tables. If you're coming down here you need to follow our customs.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

I choose whether or not I feel like tipping. For the most part, I don't. But then again, in Canada, waitresses make $10-18 without tips. Tips are bonus.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:43 PM

We tip, but you better believe the tip reflects the quality of the meal itself and the service. I usually tip based upon how full my iced tea glass stays. If I can't keep up with her, she gets 20%. Otherwise, she gets 15%. At times, we've left 10% for bad service or bad food.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Hmmm, trash? Really, now you have resorted to name calling. If you would read you would see that I do tip. I hardly take food out of anyones child's mouth. So unless I tip 20+% I am starving someones child by your analogy?Get real. Over exagerate much?

Quoting Anonymous:

Assuming they have 5 tables and assuming they are all gone in an hour. Most restaurants don't have 5 table sections because the level of service goes down. It amazes me how trash like you can justify taking the food out of someone else's child's mouth.

Quoting Anonymous:

That may be true but they often take care of several tables in that hour. If they are taking care of say five tables and they all tip at least $3 that is an extra $15 an hour on top of the $3.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

lol, you realize that most waiters make less than $3 an hour, right? that's only $24 for an 8hr shift. You miss, are the table that gets spit in your food.

Quoting Anonymous:

we give 2-3 bucks no matter what the bill is.

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM

No. They get paid paid min wage. Them getting paid $3 an hour would be illegal.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

lol, you realize that most waiters make less than $3 an hour, right? that's only $24 for an 8hr shift. You miss, are the table that gets spit in your food.

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Did I say you must tip more than 20%? No. I would never dream of leaving the $3 you seem to think is okay. Even if they suck, they shouldn't have to pay to wait on you. If we get poor service, we leave a bad tip (15%). It is trashy to intentionally screw someone over and make excuses for it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hmmm, trash? Really, now you have resorted to name calling. If you would read you would see that I do tip. I hardly take food out of anyones child's mouth. So unless I tip 20+% I am starving someones child by your analogy?Get real. Over exagerate much?

Quoting Anonymous:

Assuming they have 5 tables and assuming they are all gone in an hour. Most restaurants don't have 5 table sections because the level of service goes down. It amazes me how trash like you can justify taking the food out of someone else's child's mouth.

Quoting Anonymous:

That may be true but they often take care of several tables in that hour. If they are taking care of say five tables and they all tip at least $3 that is an extra $15 an hour on top of the $3.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Okay, apparentely you are getting the two anonymous posters confused. I wasn't the one that said I tip $2-3. I will back out of this post and let you have your words with her. I see now why you made the statements you did. I was thinking "what does this person expect? I said I tip up to 20%" Now it makes sense.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did I say you must tip more than 20%? No. I would never dream of leaving the $3 you seem to think is okay. Even if they suck, they shouldn't have to pay to wait on you. If we get poor service, we leave a bad tip (15%). It is trashy to intentionally screw someone over and make excuses for it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting alexsmomma06:

Quoting Anonymous:

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Minimum wage for waitresses is three bucks an hour, generally.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Quoting Anonymous:

No. They get paid paid min wage. Them getting paid $3 an hour would be illegal.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

Quoting Anonymous:

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:19 PM

You do realize that they probably only make about $2/hr and rely on tips to make up the difference? So yeah it is NECESSARY TO TIP.  If you're not going to tip 15%-20% then stay home.

Quoting Anonymous:

disneymom2two
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I was thinking the same thing!  As for myself, I am embarrassed if I'm with a bad tipper and will add to the tip if need be.  My feeling is that if you can't afford to tip, stick with fast food counter service.

Quoting Kerannmer:

Anyway, I hope you don't eat at the smae places too often, lol, or you're probably getting a little more than you're paying for anyway. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured