Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I would be embarrassed to be at a table with a poor tipper

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How do you feel about tipping?

Options:

I feel the same way as you. It is important

I always tip, but I don't think it's a big deal either way

I tip sometimes, but only when they do a great job

Tipping? I paid for my food; that's enough

Waiter, there is a penguin in my soup again.

Otter... not to be confused with other

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 287

View Results

I cannot imagine tipping poorly while eating at a restaurant. If I were in a circumstance in which I could not provide a proper tip, I would be eating somewhere without a waitstaff. If I'm with someone who tips poorly, I will add to the tip myself.

Not only is the hourly wage for a waiter or waitress well below minimum wage, they have to pay taxes on what they should earn in tips.

Some people do not know this, and, for that, I may judge them less harshly. Those who are aware, and say ridiculous things like, "It's not my fault the system works that way!", and then refuse to tip, are incredibly selfish and rude individuals.

I am not normally a judgmental person, but I strongly believe in fully paying for a service. If one doesn't want to pay for a service, do not go to a place where it is part of the experience.

I always tip, and it's rarely the minimum amount. I tip above the minimum for satisfactory to excellent service. I only tip the minimum if the waitress/waiter does a poor job. I also do not blame kitchen issues on my waiter.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Replies (191-200):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Not in my state.

Quoting celestegood:

Minimum wage for waitresses is three bucks an hour, generally.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Quoting Anonymous:

No. They get paid paid min wage. Them getting paid $3 an hour would be illegal.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

lol, you realize that most waiters make less than $3 an hour, right? that's only $24 for an 8hr shift. You miss, are the table that gets spit in your food.

Quoting Anonymous:

we give 2-3 bucks no matter what the bill is.

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Not in CA...they get paid $8

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

You do realize that they probably only make about $2/hr and rely on tips to make up the difference? So yeah it is NECESSARY TO TIP.  If you're not going to tip 15%-20% then stay home.

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Emotional
nelliesmommy
by prettyandpierced on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I always tip well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I left the waitress at hooters a .25 cent tip on the table.... SHE SUCKED. Other than that one incident, I always tip 15-20%

PinkButterfly66
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:22 PM

No excuse for not tipping!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

You do realize that they probably only make about $2/hr and rely on tips to make up the difference? So yeah it is NECESSARY TO TIP.  If you're not going to tip 15%-20% then stay home.

Quoting Anonymous:

Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I tell people who do not know  us  we tip good for good service...  If the resturant is really busy Iam forgivinng but , if  everything is q wroung and the waitstaff our rude or what I  leave nothing or change. But if the  wait staff our  mediocre or good I leave alot or what i can.

I hate paying for a tip and basically paying thier salries it should  be the empolyeers who pay and we only pay for good service.

got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM
i always tip unless they did especially horrible. if they are average, i tip about 15%. if they are good, i go up to 25%-35%. the most ive ever left is a 17 dollar tip. the girl was awesome! the bill was like 23 bucks, i left two twenties and walked out. it felt really good to reward her according to her exceptional service.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I only tip if they're good at their job. I don't just tip them for just doing their job, they get paid to do their job.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

No excuse for not tipping!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Not In my state, my sister was a waitress at a little truck stop about 10 yrs ago and made 6.50 (which was min wage at the time)

Quoting alexsmomma06:

lol, you realize that most waiters make less than $3 an hour, right? that's only $24 for an 8hr shift. You miss, are the table that gets spit in your food.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured