Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I would be embarrassed to be at a table with a poor tipper

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How do you feel about tipping?

Options:

I feel the same way as you. It is important

I always tip, but I don't think it's a big deal either way

I tip sometimes, but only when they do a great job

Tipping? I paid for my food; that's enough

Waiter, there is a penguin in my soup again.

Otter... not to be confused with other

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 287

View Results

I cannot imagine tipping poorly while eating at a restaurant. If I were in a circumstance in which I could not provide a proper tip, I would be eating somewhere without a waitstaff. If I'm with someone who tips poorly, I will add to the tip myself.

Not only is the hourly wage for a waiter or waitress well below minimum wage, they have to pay taxes on what they should earn in tips.

Some people do not know this, and, for that, I may judge them less harshly. Those who are aware, and say ridiculous things like, "It's not my fault the system works that way!", and then refuse to tip, are incredibly selfish and rude individuals.

I am not normally a judgmental person, but I strongly believe in fully paying for a service. If one doesn't want to pay for a service, do not go to a place where it is part of the experience.

I always tip, and it's rarely the minimum amount. I tip above the minimum for satisfactory to excellent service. I only tip the minimum if the waitress/waiter does a poor job. I also do not blame kitchen issues on my waiter.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Replies (201-210):
celestegood
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM
It should be that way in every state.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not in my state.

Quoting celestegood:

Minimum wage for waitresses is three bucks an hour, generally.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

Quoting Anonymous:

No. They get paid paid min wage. Them getting paid $3 an hour would be illegal.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

lol, you realize that most waiters make less than $3 an hour, right? that's only $24 for an 8hr shift. You miss, are the table that gets spit in your food.

Quoting Anonymous:

we give 2-3 bucks no matter what the bill is.

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I tip very well.....

IF I was with someone that didn't tip well, I would fix that immediately

Anonymous
by Anonymous 33 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I tip 15-20% most of the time. However, if I receive poor service i don't feel obligated to tip well. Since the tip is paying for the service, if I receive poor service then you get a poor tip. I just feel if I have to flag down other employees to order my food, get drink refills, napkins, the bill, etc that you don't deserve the same tip as someone who is working their butt off.

While raises and tips are different, my job is set up such that raises are given based on merit. The person who sucks doesnt get a raise, while those who work their butt off may get a 4% raise instead of giving 2% to everyone. It's only fair that you get paid per your effort.

eta: I have added tip money to the table at times when my family doesn't want to tip but $2-3 no matter how good the waiter/ess was.

FoxTales
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I tip well (average of 15 - 20%) for service between satisfactory and excellent, or more if we can afford it and the service has been outstanding. There has been twice when I haven't tipped. One was when we were left there by the waiter for 45 minutes without even being asked if we wanted something to drink... he came by once and took our order, and the cook brought it out... and then we never saw him again. We tried flagging him down, but he chose to ignore us and favour another very large table (hoping for good tips, I guess). He was super over-the-top polite at the counter (perhaps he realized the error of his ways?) but DH didn't tip him anything. "I pay for the food," he said. "I tip for the service." The only other time was when we were literally ignored for two hours after being seated. We were there to hang out, sure, it was  1 a.m., sure, but the lady refused to acknowledge us. We wanted to order food.. we were polite and 100% sober etc... but she was in a mood, I guess. TWO HOURS later, we had our order taken. FOURTY-FIVE MINUTES later we finally got our order. And it was wrong. She never took a drink order (I just wanted iced tea lol) and she brought us our order three times and something was wrong three times. Finally I gave up, and the supervisor on duty ended up giving us a discount on our order (after the waitress got mad that we didn't want to pay full price and told us to come back the next day and talk to the manager).

So those are extreme circumstances... we have tipped 5% (because of tip-out etc) a handful of times if waitresses have snapped at us, gotten mad for flagging them down, or rolled their eyes when we ordered and were just generally rude. Only one instance is coming to mind, and this lady was downright MEAN. I'm surprised she even held her job down. But it wasn't as bad as she'd had, and it was a large table so she probably had a high tip-out. We didn't want to be cruel.

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

I refuse to feel obligated to leave a tip. If they do an outstanding job then I might leave a few dollars but I will not tip just because it is expected.

Why not, anon?
alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:08 PM

lol, I'm guessing you've never a waitress, huh? Waiters get paid less and then depend on their tips to bring it up to minimum wage.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting alexsmomma06:

lol, you realize that most waiters make less than $3 an hour, right? that's only $24 for an 8hr shift. You miss, are the table that gets spit in your food.

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

We tip, but you better believe the tip reflects the quality of the meal itself and the service. I usually tip based upon how full my iced tea glass stays. If I can't keep up with her, she gets 20%. Otherwise, she gets 15%. At times, we've left 10% for bad service or bad food.

Why are you taking bad food out on your waiter?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM
I already stated why, SommelierMom.

Quoting SommelierMom:

Quoting Anonymous:

I refuse to feel obligated to leave a tip. If they do an outstanding job then I might leave a few dollars but I will not tip just because it is expected.

Why not, anon?

ZanderandBella
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:11 PM

To correct something...in california, the waitresses and waitors are paid minimum wage PLUS tips. I typically tip anywhere from 20-50% though. Just because minimum wage does not pay rent here.

ZanderandBella
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Depends on the state. Both California and Hawaii pay at least minimum wage and tips are on top of that.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

lol, I'm guessing you've never a waitress, huh? Waiters get paid less and then depend on their tips to bring it up to minimum wage.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting alexsmomma06:

Quoting Anonymous:

Heather- Air Force Wife, Mom of two, WAHM with It Works! Global~ The Body wrap company
There are people that will tell you that you can't do it. They will even try to hold you back. However, it only means THEY can't do it. You can do anything you set your mind to and are willing to work hard to get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN