Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I would be embarrassed to be at a table with a poor tipper

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How do you feel about tipping?

Options:

I feel the same way as you. It is important

I always tip, but I don't think it's a big deal either way

I tip sometimes, but only when they do a great job

Tipping? I paid for my food; that's enough

Waiter, there is a penguin in my soup again.

Otter... not to be confused with other

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 287

View Results

I cannot imagine tipping poorly while eating at a restaurant. If I were in a circumstance in which I could not provide a proper tip, I would be eating somewhere without a waitstaff. If I'm with someone who tips poorly, I will add to the tip myself.

Not only is the hourly wage for a waiter or waitress well below minimum wage, they have to pay taxes on what they should earn in tips.

Some people do not know this, and, for that, I may judge them less harshly. Those who are aware, and say ridiculous things like, "It's not my fault the system works that way!", and then refuse to tip, are incredibly selfish and rude individuals.

I am not normally a judgmental person, but I strongly believe in fully paying for a service. If one doesn't want to pay for a service, do not go to a place where it is part of the experience.

I always tip, and it's rarely the minimum amount. I tip above the minimum for satisfactory to excellent service. I only tip the minimum if the waitress/waiter does a poor job. I also do not blame kitchen issues on my waiter.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

we give 2-3 bucks no matter what the bill is.

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

A server in my state earns $2.13 an hour.  Having worked as a server in high-school I think it is very necessary to tip.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Destiny907
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

You know what, most wait staff is paid below minimun wage AND our wonderful government ASSUMES they always make 10 per cent tips! SO they are TAXED for that amount- if they don't get tips, they actually can lose money.  

I think it's nuts to be taxed for tips they are "gifts", not wages!!! The government loves to screw us over. 

It is the best thing to do to tip 20% of the bill.  A right thing to do

Sometimes, if I am lower on money than normal but want to go out to eat, I will choose a fast food or some place with no wait staff so I don't have to tip! Otherwise, if I go out to eat, I plan on that tip as part of my bill.

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM
The better the waiter/waitress is with my kids, the better the tip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM

On the east cost they get paid $2.15 an hour. I bet they remember you after the first lousy tip.

Quoting Anonymous:

Whisperywind
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Geez you 2 just don't get it do you.

Quoting Anonymous:

That may be true but they often take care of several tables in that hour. If they are taking care of say five tables and they all tip at least $3 that is an extra $15 an hour on top of the $3.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

lol, you realize that most waiters make less than $3 an hour, right? that's only $24 for an 8hr shift. You miss, are the table that gets spit in your food.

Quoting Anonymous:

Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM

If I were American, I would definitely be tipping. 

I just realized last year that these debates are irrelevant because our waitresses don't get paid that little.

Quoting lwalker270:

Quoting Anonymous:

A server in my state earns $2.13 an hour.  Having worked as a server in high-school I think it is very necessary to tip.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I am a good tipper and I HATE going out with people I know to be crappy tippers. I always carry cash so I can sneak in extra if needed....I live in a state that has no "tipped" wage so wait staff can get no less than minimum wage in the first place....I feel like I can leave an actual  honest TIP instead of feeling pressured into tipping more simply because they make less.

hudson.maggie
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM
I understand that waiters/waitresses get paid poorly but I will not give a tip to someone who doesn't do their job.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Frosting
Kind of worried tonight. Our diabetic dog has decided to refuse her insulin shots. Not sure where the situation will go from here.... :-(
Yesterday at 10:32 PM
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I always tip, but I don't stress out over it.  The only time I make sure the tip is above and beyond is if I'm with a large party and the wait staff has had more than the normal share of work.  Then I always try to give very large tips.

Whisperywind
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I always remembered my bad tippers in one way or another so I'm sure there are millions out there like me....

Quoting LAXmom21:

On the east cost they get paid $2.15 an hour. I bet they remember you after the first lousy tip.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)