Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I would be embarrassed to be at a table with a poor tipper

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: How do you feel about tipping?

Options:

I feel the same way as you. It is important

I always tip, but I don't think it's a big deal either way

I tip sometimes, but only when they do a great job

Tipping? I paid for my food; that's enough

Waiter, there is a penguin in my soup again.

Otter... not to be confused with other

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 287

View Results

I cannot imagine tipping poorly while eating at a restaurant. If I were in a circumstance in which I could not provide a proper tip, I would be eating somewhere without a waitstaff. If I'm with someone who tips poorly, I will add to the tip myself.

Not only is the hourly wage for a waiter or waitress well below minimum wage, they have to pay taxes on what they should earn in tips.

Some people do not know this, and, for that, I may judge them less harshly. Those who are aware, and say ridiculous things like, "It's not my fault the system works that way!", and then refuse to tip, are incredibly selfish and rude individuals.

I am not normally a judgmental person, but I strongly believe in fully paying for a service. If one doesn't want to pay for a service, do not go to a place where it is part of the experience.

I always tip, and it's rarely the minimum amount. I tip above the minimum for satisfactory to excellent service. I only tip the minimum if the waitress/waiter does a poor job. I also do not blame kitchen issues on my waiter.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Replies (61-70):
Elayna90
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM
I feel the same that you do. I am a waitress though so I know how important tips are.

That said, if a server sucks, I have no issue leaving a very small tip. But I am a generous tipper if service is good.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KelissaMaye
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM
I completely agree with you, OP.
Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM

You're kind of missing the point. Anyway, I hope you don't eat at the smae places too often, lol, or you're probably getting a little more than you're paying for anyway. 

Quoting Emilytrademark:

It's the restaurant's job to pay their staff, not the customer's.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

lol, you realize that most waiters make less than $3 an hour, right? that's only $24 for an 8hr shift. You miss, are the table that gets spit in your food.

Quoting Anonymous:

we give 2-3 bucks no matter what the bill is.

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM

That's pretty cheap. No wonder everyone is crazy about tipping! $2-$3 an hour, and a meal costing $20. I'd be tipping. Here, waitresses can make pretty good money. My cousin was a dishwasher and waitressed on the side and with overtime, she made $18 an hour and would work from 6-1 am. She also made $50 in tips a night at the bar.

Quoting caito:

It depends on where you live. I live in an expensive part of North Carolina. Fast food is about 20-25 for my husband, daughter, and me. A sit down restaurant can be between 25-70 depending on where we go. We also like to order appetizers and rarely dessert at sit down places, so that jacks up the price. If we only ordered entrees and that's it, it would probably be between 25-40.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

How much does a meal cost at a restaurant in America anyway? 

Here, at Moxie's it's about $30 for me and my son, and we usually tip if the food arrives less than 15 minutes. At Montana's and Kelsey's, it's about $35-$40. And at Boston Pizza, it's about $50 for two people. I usually don't tip.

CrazyLife1996
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM
I agree with you but I will not tip for bad service.
Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I usually leave 15% no matter what, unless the service is unapologetically bad. 20% is really my standard, more for better service.  

Quoting illinoismommy83:

$6 on a $40 tab is 15% and socially acceptable. Why do you feel a waitress deserves upwards of 25-30% at all times?

Quoting Kerannmer:

$5-6 is fine for a $20.00 (and good service) meal, but what if your bill was more than that? Say you had a $40 tab...would you still only leave 5 or 6 dollars? 

Quoting Anonymous:

My DH and I only tip $5-6 no matter the price. but usually thats reasonable because we never go anywhere expensive and dont usually get pricey meals. We also dont go out often to eat.

Ive only ever not tipped once. I forget why she was so horrible but I remember being extremely irritated and told DH if she didnt do better she wasnt getting a tip. He said we had to leave something and I argued I did not. If she wasnt going to do her job, why get paid for it?

Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:58 PM

WOW! Do you guys get those kids free on Thursday deals too? If we eat there, I usually tip because for some reason, the wait staff makes less than $8 an hour start wage. 

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Applebee's, Fridays, outback, those places it's probably about $60-$90 for two adults and a child. That's what my bills normally range.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Here, at Moxie's it's about $30 for me and my son, and we usually tip if the food arrives less than 15 minutes. At Montana's and Kelsey's, it's about $35-$40. And at Boston Pizza, it's about $50 for two people. I usually don't tip.

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Wow, do you guys drink a lot? Applebees and Fridays steaks are like $18, normal meals are around $12, and kids meals are $6. How do you spend so much? 

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Applebee's, Fridays, outback, those places it's probably about $60-$90 for two adults and a child. That's what my bills normally range.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Nunyabusiness
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM

We always tip 20% or more. It has to be really poor if they get less than that and even then we give 10% and obviously it has to do with service. Never tip based on food and the kitchen, always on how the waiter acts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Yes. We usually tip around 15% so sometimes its 3 but we dont always have ones and leave a 5 But according to my tip calculator, 15% of a 40 bill is 6. So yeah.

Quoting Kerannmer:

$5-6 is fine for a $20.00 (and good service) meal, but what if your bill was more than that? Say you had a $40 tab...would you still only leave 5 or 6 dollars? 

Quoting Anonymous:

My DH and I only tip $5-6 no matter the price. but usually thats reasonable because we never go anywhere expensive and dont usually get pricey meals. We also dont go out often to eat.

Ive only ever not tipped once. I forget why she was so horrible but I remember being extremely irritated and told DH if she didnt do better she wasnt getting a tip. He said we had to leave something and I argued I did not. If she wasnt going to do her job, why get paid for it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured