Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think about this teacher’s allowing students to dress like KKK?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:12 PM
  • 141 Replies
1 mom liked this

Teacher Who Let Students Dress Like KKK Was Giving an Important History Lesson

Posted by Jenny Erikson on January 30, 2013 

Clark County School District officials in Las Vegas are not faulting a high school teacher for letting two kids dress up as members of the Ku Klux Klan for a U.S. history presentation.

It seems as though a couple of students were wearing their costumes outside of the classroom and got captured on social media. Because duh -- kids will be kids, and in today’s world, everything is documented digitally.

The students and teacher were not identified, but Principal Scott Walker of Las Vegas Academy sent home a letter after the incident that read:

While the presentation was designed to highlight the atrocities committed by the Klan, and there was no intention to harm or offend on the part of the students, it was in poor judgment and inappropriate for students to go to such lengths to convey their message.

Linda Young, a Clark County school trustee and only black and minority school board member, stated that the teacher has her support. She doesn’t believe the teacher meant any harm, and she hadn’t received any complaints from the public.

A big high-five to Ms. Young for not making this molehill into a politically correct mountain.

Here’s the thing about racism and the KKK -- that happened. No amount of glossing over history can take it back. It was awful and terrible and unfair and I’m sure the VAST majority of Americans today wish it wasn’t part of our history, but it is.

I think it’s important to teach our kids about the brutalities of the past, so they may hopefully not repeat them in the future. One of the best ways to learn something is through reenactment. Both the participants and the audience are able to retain knowledge that they ‘experienced’ rather than just read about in a dry history book for much longer than they would otherwise.

History teachers are supposed to teach kids about history, and that includes things like slavery, racism, and the Ku Klux Klan. To deny teachers the freedom to creatively teach their students about the past does a disservice to everyone.

What do you think about this teacher’s controversial teaching techniques?

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:14 PM
13 moms liked this
Not "happened", it's happening still!

I have no problem with the costumes bring used for a presentation,the kids were dumb running around in them though.
Gardeningmom4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:29 PM
4 moms liked this

I see no problem with them using costumes to show the true atrocities that happened.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:33 PM
4 moms liked this
Why is this an issue? Should we pretend it didnt/doesnt happen? Should we continue to sugar coat things?

I do not see an issue.
AmyL3469
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't see a problem with her allowing students to use them for a lesson, however, she probably should have taken them away after the class and not let the kids run around with them. I think acting it out is a good teaching tool with history.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Letting the kids walk around in them when not doing their presentation was just asking for trouble.

Junesmommy18
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AmyL3469:

I don't see a problem with her allowing students to use them for a lesson, however, she probably should have taken them away after the class and not let the kids run around with them. I think acting it out is a good teaching tool with history.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:37 PM
8 moms liked this

You don't need such costumes to prove a point.

BDolphins82
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this

I see no problem with it.  I had a history teacher that had us do various renactments of various historical events.  It was fun and enlitening.  One of them was the impeachment of a president (not clinton). Everyone got a part to play.  It was fun.  We did other renactments including the surrender of the South to the North at the end of the civil war.  its a great way to learn history imo.

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I think they were fine in the class for the presentation but should not have been worn out of the class however the kids could have gotten ready in the bathroom so try could
Enter class ready. But either way out of the
Class room was a bad idea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xboybrksgrlx
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:41 PM
2 moms liked this
The kid wearing it around like a dummy will probably get beat up depending on the school that he/she is at lol some schools here in Vegas have a large black population. As for the dressing up, if it were school related. I don't see the issue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured