Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you pick it up in a bookstore?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM
  • 74 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Would you be interested?

Options:

Sure

Nope

I would need to see the cover first

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 97

View Results

Okay... so just throwing this out there...I'm a baptist and it kind of boils me when people say that religion discriminates against women... and while I was scrubbing down my bathroom today, I got an idea... for a nonfiction piece... "Freedom :Women's Place in Religion"     I thought I could study all of the mentions of a woman's place in all of the major religious sects and practice each of them in turn, do some interviews with women who live that way all the time and write about the experience...

Does this seem like the kind of thing you would want to read? 

Whether you say yes or no, what kind of advice would you have for improving the idea? 

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Dont kid yourself, a womans place is in the kitchen and bedroom, religion has no room for women
MrsBridges19
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Religion was wrote and run by men.

ANSLUASI
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:07 PM
5 moms liked this

Sounds like an interesting idea to me. But you may have more success to do it as a blog that people can follow, see if that is a success, and then turn it into a book.  

Gwenhwyfar
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Thanks! that is a great idea!

Quoting ANSLUASI:

Sounds like an interesting idea to me. But you may have more success to do it as a blog that people can follow, see if that is a success, and then turn it into a book.  

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

No, because I don't think the "womans place" is something thats really a religious thing as much as it is something that some followers of religion decided. That kind of thing frustrates me and I think it adds to the stereotype that all Christian women and religious women in general bend over to kiss their husbands butts and are basically treated as the maid. 

Gwenhwyfar
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Not all of them... take the Wiccans for instance, they worship the Goddess and women are the heads of their religious ceremonies and households.

Quoting MrsBridges19:

Religion was wrote and run by men.

VannaMae307
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:09 PM

This is excellent advice. Build up a following first. It will open up doors for where and who you can research. Give you options for personal interviews if you were to do a book. I like reading about religions, I am Baptist too and I think you have a good idea...but probably not good enough to jump straight into the deep end and start writing a book!

Maybe even develop it into a documentary of some kind at some point, too.

Quoting ANSLUASI:

teal.blaze
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I like this idea!! I would totally follow that blog. I would find someone from each of the religions that you follow as well, to make sure that you're not misunderstanding anything.

Quoting ANSLUASI:

nataliesmom2012
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I like the idea of a blog like someone else already said. I would read it either way though if I saw it. I'd probably be more likely to read it on my computer than book form.

Gwenhwyfar
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM

see that is the kind of thing I want to dispell! my husband and I live according to the bible and he goes to work and I run the household and we treat each other with equal respect. He would kick anyone's ass who disrespected me in any way, because that is what he is supposed to do, and he knows that... it is this twisted image of religion that puts women "in their places"

Quoting LucyHarper:

No, because I don't think the "womans place" is something thats really a religious thing as much as it is something that some followers of religion decided. That kind of thing frustrates me and I think it adds to the stereotype that all Christian women and religious women in general bend over to kiss their husbands butts and are basically treated as the maid. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN