Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Glamorization of teen pregnancy?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
With movies like Juno, tv series like teen mom, special schools that provide daycare, and now the debate about accommodation for bf and pumping in regular schools...

Have we made teen pregnancy more popular and acceptable?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southernjess3
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM

are you new?

ArisMom208
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

No. It shows the STRUGLES of being a teen mom. Teen pregnancy rates have dropped since 16 and pregnant started. Its not like they show only the happy moments of being a mommy, they usually show the hard part/baby daddy drama.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM

We've made it more acceptable for sure. Kids try to get pregnant hoping to be on that show.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Nope. Five years here, but I'm not constantly here. Why?

Quoting southernjess3:

are you new?

MichelleJ1000
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM

No I don't think it does.

Barronbaby
by Brandi on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this
This....

Quoting ArisMom208:

No. It shows the STRUGLES of being a teen mom. Teen pregnancy rates have dropped since 16 and pregnant started. Its not like they show only the happy moments of being a mommy, they usually show the hard part/baby daddy drama.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:14 PM
I've overheard teens talking about doing exactly that. So sad

Quoting wkukid:

We've made it more acceptable for sure. Kids try to get pregnant hoping to be on that show.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I know several that have made the statement personally. They want to get pregnant to get on TV and make money.

Quoting Anonymous:

I've overheard teens talking about doing exactly that. So sad

Quoting wkukid:

spicy_n_sweet
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:16 PM
3 moms liked this

I can only say this, since I do not watch those shows or have ever seen that movie.

I'm 49 years old.  Teen pregnancy is far more acceptable now than it was when I was a teen.  Now, is that a good thing or bad thing for society ? That totally depends on how an individual chooses to look at that big picture. I see both postives and negatives in regards to it being more acceptable. Postive in the sense that young girls are no longer (no in the manner they were when I was a teen) shipped off somewhere to give birth and put the child up for adoption. They are not as ostracized as they once were. They are being provided more means in order to finish HS, go to college, get a job, and care for their child in the long run. Down side is that providing those opportunities and services to teen parents does create an extra strain on public services. However, I can't say that the immediate strain outweighs the long term benefits to having educated, employable young women in our society.  At one time a teen mom who kept her child would be forced to drop out of school , fend for herself some how. Now they have the opportunity to finish their education, become employable and pay society back for the help they received as a teen. I think that is far better than having so many young women unable to support themselves and their children as time passes.

WandaSue
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

sadly yep...so many teens out there think if they get pregnant that they can call mtv and get a show :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)