Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
My house is infested with stink bugs. What can I do??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Replies (21-30):
funny_girl3
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Fill a water bottle about a quarter of the way and put some dish soap in it.  Use that to catch the stinkbugs, the soapy water kills them.  Then dump them in the toilet and flush them away.  Don't squish them!

Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Omg they will not die!!!

I'm really not sure roaches are any worse. These guys seem to have the same qualities plus the putrid odor!

Quoting gabby416:

Hate those little fokkers.  I had one in here, and it's freezing out mind you, and it had been flying around my house for months till I finally got it, and put it outside, it found its way back in, and this time I flushed the poor little guy.

lesliemck86
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM

There's few stink bug issues in the area I service, I've seen a few around some people's screened in porches but all I know about them is they like to feed on edible plants like fruits and veggies. You should have a company do a pest service on the outside of the house at the very least. 

Quoting Sagely:

They're all concentrated around the windows in our living room. Haven't seen them anywhere else in the house.

None in the bedrooms where the attic entry is or in our basement or garage.

Quoting lesliemck86:

Do you have a crawlspace that gets looked at regularly? An attic space?

Quoting Sagely:

No, but it seems they are coming in through the windows. Except the windows are closed.

Quoting lesliemck86:

I never heard of a stink bug infestation. Are there fruit or edible plants nearby?

Jscott1216
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:44 PM
I live in Illinois. And I can guarentee our techs don't use pnut butter. Everyone who has ever worked in the office although not required was encouraged to go on a run with one of the techs so we are informed and can help the customers more. There's always a bad apple in every bunch though. They aren't cheap but they are worth it. At least our guys are. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them. :(
Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:45 PM
We used to have a company come out because we had a really bad daddy-long leg problem. After three years, the problem continued to get worse. So, I fired them and put the money toward bird seed around the perimeter of the house.

Within two weeks, I had no spiders. I haven't seen a single spider in this house for over a year now.

I hear that birds don't like stink bugs though. :-(

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Call an exterminator.  Those little buggers have no natural preditors and if you put them outside, they just crawl back in.  I don't have them in my house, but our area has a problem with stink bugs.

Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:46 PM
LoL, maybe I should invite them back...

Quoting suetoo:

Hire some spiders?

ff-princess
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM

daddy long legs are actually beneficial to have around the house, they eat other bugs that you really don't want hanging around.

Quoting Sagely:

We used to have a company come out because we had a really bad daddy-long leg problem. After three years, the problem continued to get worse. So, I fired them and put the money toward bird seed around the perimeter of the house.

Within two weeks, I had no spiders. I haven't seen a single spider in this house for over a year now.

I hear that birds don't like stink bugs though. :-(

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Call an exterminator.  Those little buggers have no natural preditors and if you put them outside, they just crawl back in.  I don't have them in my house, but our area has a problem with stink bugs.

Mrs.Winchester
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM

what is a stink bug?  I have no idea...

air freshener?  LOL

Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:47 PM
If only there were some legal way to burn down my house and get that insurance payment...

Quoting Anonymous:

Move and burn down the house!

lesliemck86
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:48 PM

The roach bait we use LOOKS like peanut butter, but its definitely not. 

Quoting Sagely:

What area are you in? Our local Orkin charges both arms and a kidney to do absolutely nothing except put on a very interesting act.

My last encounter when I was renting (different place) and had roach problems, the guy showed up with peanut butter. Insisted it would work.

The hell??

Quoting Jscott1216:

Call orkin or your local pest control company. Orkin does a free inspection and will let you know what to do next. I work @ our local orkin in the office.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)