Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
My house is infested with stink bugs. What can I do??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Replies (31-40):
Mrs.Winchester
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Also I wanted to say you remind me of a blonde Christina Ricci (and yes that's a compliment!).   

Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM
When we first had the problem, I had my dh do that exact strategy.

Several months later...I think he kinda decided it wasn't worth all that effort.

Quoting funny_girl3:

Fill a water bottle about a quarter of the way and put some dish soap in it.  Use that to catch the stinkbugs, the soapy water kills them.  Then dump them in the toilet and flush them away.  Don't squish them!

Rbrown72707
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Found this info for you.

Physical Control: 
Adult brown marmorated stink bugs can enter homes through cracks and crevices. A few simple tips to help keep them from entering homes are:

• Caulk windows inside and out.
  • Weather strip entry doors and/or install door
    sweeps if daylight is visible around the 
    perimeter of the door.
  • Rake away all debris and edible vegetation 
    from your home’s foundation to keep from 
    attracting pests.
  • Inspect for and seal foundation cracks to block 
    a potential point of entry.
  • Secure crawl space entries.
  • When insulating exposed plumbing pipes 
    around the foundation or the crawl space of 
    your home, caulk small gaps and fill larger 
    ones with steel wool.
  • If your home has a fireplace, cap or screen the 
    top of the chimney to keep out pests.
  • Both live and dead brown marmorated stink 
    bugs can be removed from interior areas with 
    the aid of a vacuum cleaner, but the vacuum 
    may smell of stink bugs for a period of time. 

Trapping:
Blue or black fluorescent lights attract the brown marmorated stink bug. There are several light traps that use these color spectrums that are available of the market. They will trap adult BMSB but the significance of the reduction in population is still being evaluated.

Quoting Sagely:

We used to have a company come out because we had a really bad daddy-long leg problem. After three years, the problem continued to get worse. So, I fired them and put the money toward bird seed around the perimeter of the house.

Within two weeks, I had no spiders. I haven't seen a single spider in this house for over a year now.

I hear that birds don't like stink bugs though. :-(

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Call an exterminator.  Those little buggers have no natural preditors and if you put them outside, they just crawl back in.  I don't have them in my house, but our area has a problem with stink bugs.

moroccanmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM
I just saw that on the show...infested.
I forgot how they rid of them.
Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Yeah no idea what the heck they're eating here.

Our fruit and veggies stay in the fridge till it gets eaten or thrown out. No stink bugs in the kitchen or anywhere near the trash either.

I don't mind going to Home Depot and finding some good ol' fashioned poison if there's some that works against these effers. I'm not interested in the $180 initial visit charge the companies around here like to pull.

Quoting lesliemck86:

There's few stink bug issues in the area I service, I've seen a few around some people's screened in porches but all I know about them is they like to feed on edible plants like fruits and veggies. You should have a company do a pest service on the outside of the house at the very least. 

Quoting Sagely:

They're all concentrated around the windows in our living room. Haven't seen them anywhere else in the house.

None in the bedrooms where the attic entry is or in our basement or garage.

Quoting lesliemck86:

Do you have a crawlspace that gets looked at regularly? An attic space?

Quoting Sagely:

No, but it seems they are coming in through the windows. Except the windows are closed.

Quoting lesliemck86:

I never heard of a stink bug infestation. Are there fruit or edible plants nearby?

Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Well, I figure if they were all that stupid the business wouldn't still be going. :-P

Quoting Jscott1216:

I live in Illinois. And I can guarentee our techs don't use pnut butter. Everyone who has ever worked in the office although not required was encouraged to go on a run with one of the techs so we are informed and can help the customers more. There's always a bad apple in every bunch though. They aren't cheap but they are worth it. At least our guys are. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with them. :(
Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Not when they land on your face. That shit don't fly with me.

And yeah, it happened.

I was vacuuming roughly 50 every week. And I only have a 1500sf house. That infestation was BAD.

The stink bugs aren't to that level yet though. Generally we're getting 2-3 a day.

Quoting ff-princess:

daddy long legs are actually beneficial to have around the house, they eat other bugs that you really don't want hanging around.

Quoting Sagely:

We used to have a company come out because we had a really bad daddy-long leg problem. After three years, the problem continued to get worse. So, I fired them and put the money toward bird seed around the perimeter of the house.

Within two weeks, I had no spiders. I haven't seen a single spider in this house for over a year now.

I hear that birds don't like stink bugs though. :-(

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Call an exterminator.  Those little buggers have no natural preditors and if you put them outside, they just crawl back in.  I don't have them in my house, but our area has a problem with stink bugs.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Freak the fuck out.

Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Lol!

Ya gotta google it. I'd put up a pic but I'm mobile and lazy.

Quoting Mrs.Winchester:

what is a stink bug?  I have no idea...

air freshener?  LOL

lesliemck86
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Wow 180, I need to change companies. We only charge about $75-85 for an intial visit. I live in SC. 

Quoting Sagely:

Yeah no idea what the heck they're eating here.

Our fruit and veggies stay in the fridge till it gets eaten or thrown out. No stink bugs in the kitchen or anywhere near the trash either.

I don't mind going to Home Depot and finding some good ol' fashioned poison if there's some that works against these effers. I'm not interested in the $180 initial visit charge the companies around here like to pull.

Quoting lesliemck86:

There's few stink bug issues in the area I service, I've seen a few around some people's screened in porches but all I know about them is they like to feed on edible plants like fruits and veggies. You should have a company do a pest service on the outside of the house at the very least. 

Quoting Sagely:

They're all concentrated around the windows in our living room. Haven't seen them anywhere else in the house.

None in the bedrooms where the attic entry is or in our basement or garage.

Quoting lesliemck86:

Do you have a crawlspace that gets looked at regularly? An attic space?

Quoting Sagely:

No, but it seems they are coming in through the windows. Except the windows are closed.

Quoting lesliemck86:

I never heard of a stink bug infestation. Are there fruit or edible plants nearby?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)