Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My house is infested with stink bugs. What can I do??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Replies (41-50):
Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:01 PM
LoL, nope the guy showed up with peanut butter. Told me it really works, that instead of calling them, I could just go get my own jar and put dollops wherever I saw the roaches.

It was so flipping crazy I actually beloved him and tried it. Like no way would he make up something THAT off the wall right?

But he did.

Quoting lesliemck86:

The roach bait we use LOOKS like peanut butter, but its definitely not. 

Quoting Sagely:

What area are you in? Our local Orkin charges both arms and a kidney to do absolutely nothing except put on a very interesting act.

My last encounter when I was renting (different place) and had roach problems, the guy showed up with peanut butter. Insisted it would work.

The hell??

Quoting Jscott1216:

Call orkin or your local pest control company. Orkin does a free inspection and will let you know what to do next. I work @ our local orkin in the office.

copperked
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Do you rent or own? If you rent, report it to your landlords and make them take care of it. If you own, I would start googling options and then probably still call an exterminator.

Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:02 PM
LoL, thank you! She is pretty. Strange woman, but pretty, so I'm flattered!

Now...if only I could get her figure...

Quoting Mrs.Winchester:

Also I wanted to say you remind me of a blonde Christina Ricci (and yes that's a compliment!).   

sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM
I suck em up with a vacuum!
Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM
I'm about to become a master of the art of caulking the shit out of my windows. Not like we ever open them anyway, there are no screens.

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Found this info for you.

Physical Control: 
Adult brown marmorated stink bugs can enter homes through cracks and crevices. A few simple tips to help keep them from entering homes are:

• Caulk windows inside and out.
  • Weather strip entry doors and/or install door
    sweeps if daylight is visible around the 
    perimeter of the door.
  • Rake away all debris and edible vegetation 
    from your home’s foundation to keep from 
    attracting pests.
  • Inspect for and seal foundation cracks to block 
    a potential point of entry.
  • Secure crawl space entries.
  • When insulating exposed plumbing pipes 
    around the foundation or the crawl space of 
    your home, caulk small gaps and fill larger 
    ones with steel wool.
  • If your home has a fireplace, cap or screen the 
    top of the chimney to keep out pests.
  • Both live and dead brown marmorated stink 
    bugs can be removed from interior areas with 
    the aid of a vacuum cleaner, but the vacuum 
    may smell of stink bugs for a period of time. 

Trapping:
Blue or black fluorescent lights attract the brown marmorated stink bug. There are several light traps that use these color spectrums that are available of the market. They will trap adult BMSB but the significance of the reduction in population is still being evaluated.

Quoting Sagely:

We used to have a company come out because we had a really bad daddy-long leg problem. After three years, the problem continued to get worse. So, I fired them and put the money toward bird seed around the perimeter of the house.

Within two weeks, I had no spiders. I haven't seen a single spider in this house for over a year now.

I hear that birds don't like stink bugs though. :-(

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Call an exterminator.  Those little buggers have no natural preditors and if you put them outside, they just crawl back in.  I don't have them in my house, but our area has a problem with stink bugs.

lesliemck86
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I can't believe that :-O !!!! 

If someone did that at one of my houses I'd be livid, they'd make the roach problem 10xs worse and harder to treat. 

Quoting Sagely:

LoL, nope the guy showed up with peanut butter. Told me it really works, that instead of calling them, I could just go get my own jar and put dollops wherever I saw the roaches.

It was so flipping crazy I actually beloved him and tried it. Like no way would he make up something THAT off the wall right?

But he did.

Quoting lesliemck86:

The roach bait we use LOOKS like peanut butter, but its definitely not. 

Quoting Sagely:

What area are you in? Our local Orkin charges both arms and a kidney to do absolutely nothing except put on a very interesting act.

My last encounter when I was renting (different place) and had roach problems, the guy showed up with peanut butter. Insisted it would work.

The hell??

Quoting Jscott1216:

Call orkin or your local pest control company. Orkin does a free inspection and will let you know what to do next. I work @ our local orkin in the office.

Sagely
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Helpful, thank you.

LoL

Quoting moroccanmommy:

I just saw that on the show...infested.

I forgot how they rid of them.
Sunshine201
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Do NOT squash them...... it makes more come..seriously! LOL

Quoting LoveMyLos:

squash them!

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM
If you find the opening outside the house
Dont clog it up from the outside

It coukd be they are in a wall and that is the only exit they have and if you clog up the hole or crack from the outside they will only have one way out. Inside you house!!! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
punkasscanuck
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:08 PM

are they black and orangeish?

Quoting Sagely:

No, but it seems they are coming in through the windows. Except the windows are closed.

Quoting lesliemck86:

I never heard of a stink bug infestation. Are there fruit or edible plants nearby?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured