Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
My house is infested with stink bugs. What can I do??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Replies (71-74):
JTE11
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM

OK, but depending on how you kill them they may or may not stench up your home on the way out. Putting them out and flushing them negates this possibility. If you squish them or spray, they can get pretty overpowering if you have a lot of them. Good luck!

Quoting Sagely:

Gross!!  No way!!  All uninvited visitors die!!

Quoting JTE11:

Well, they don't sting or bite or do anything bad to you or to the house so if you can catch them you can either put them back outside to freeze or you can flush them. They aren't harmful at all, they're just annoying. We've had them in our house all winter long so far.

funny_girl3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Yes, they just keep coming.  Ours come in through our kitchen door and french doors in the sunroom, I guess the weather stripping isn't good enough.  Also, in the sunroom we have a little hole in the ceiling where a wire comes down and they seem to be coming through there, and I think they come down the chimney.  The bugs are so tiny, I don't think you'll ever find every crack and crevice that they come through, and I don't think they've found anything to get rid of them.  Spiders eat them.  We have a few pet spiders in the kitchen and sunroom, they hang out in the windows and kill any stink bugs they find there.  I only kill the spiders I find in the rest of the house.

Quoting Sagely:

When we first had the problem, I had my dh do that exact strategy.

Several months later...I think he kinda decided it wasn't worth all that effort.

Quoting funny_girl3:

Fill a water bottle about a quarter of the way and put some dish soap in it.  Use that to catch the stinkbugs, the soapy water kills them.  Then dump them in the toilet and flush them away.  Don't squish them!

BelleVernonGirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Me to!  I thought they would go away for the winter...I guess they was in hiding...lol

gabby416
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:47 AM

seriously!  I didn't even know they could fly til that one was buzzing through the house, man they sure are loud!

Quoting Sagely:

Omg they will not die!!!

I'm really not sure roaches are any worse. These guys seem to have the same qualities plus the putrid odor!

Quoting gabby416:

Hate those little fokkers.  I had one in here, and it's freezing out mind you, and it had been flying around my house for months till I finally got it, and put it outside, it found its way back in, and this time I flushed the poor little guy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)