Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

help me!!! soooo frustrated!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies

My dd is 3 years old. She is potty trained. Its the pooing part she has has a problem with since she realised she can poo..

She refuses to go. I thought it was constipation for awhile but its not. She tells me now that she doesnt want to go. Her stomach is hard, shes holding her butt cheeks in. I really dont know what to do!

She has fresh veggies and fruits everyday. Drinks tons of water. And apple juice every now and then. I have bought medicines to soften her stool- not working. All day today (started at 10 am), she asks for the toilet every 5 minutes, as SOON as i sit her down she says shes done and wants to lay down. Seriously... i have counted and 21 times today! I tell her to push. I try and bribe her - toys, treats... anything... nope. She doesnt want to. I know she can. I know she can go because by the fourth day she does just that- she goes because obviously her body can not contain it that much longer. She still eats, drinks and plays... but just asks for the toilet every 5-10 minutes.

I am frustrated. I am not taking it out on her. I keep rubbing her back and telling her its okay. Telling her everyone poops. Telling her that its normal. Telling her that its our body getting out waste. But nope. She just refuses too. I dont know what to do! Please someone help!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexanMomOf6
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Maybe she has a medical issue?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I'm sorry. I hope you figure it out soon
amyleigh80
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM
When is the last time she pooped? Is she passing gas?
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Ah, she's being anal retentive, in the true sense of the phrase.

Do you give her choices?  Not like leaving everything up to her, but give her a choice between wearing this or that, eating this or that, doing this or that, etc.?  If the only thing she has control over is whether or not she poops, it makes sense.  Does it hurt when she goes?  Are her BMs huge?  My 12-year-old had huge BMs, so she didn't want to go.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM

You may have to do an enema. When my brother was potty training he refused to poop and my parents ended up doing one. After that, he didn't have any trouble.

I would talk to her doctor about the enema before doing it though.

CafeMom Tickers
LoveMyLos
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM

id put her on the shitter and nt let her up until she poops. had to do it mine. took him teo hours, but he did it. while on the toilet he could do anything he wanted, but he could not get up from the toilet. books, a car or two, ect. 

ANSLUASI
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:56 PM

A lot of little ones are afraid that they are losing part of their body when they poop.  It helped to explain to my DD that pooping is like taking out the trash. We told her that we don't want disgusting used up garbage sitting around our kitchen, it would stink and make us sick, just the same way that yucky stinky poop is garbage to get rid of and throw away. Worked for us, but it is harrowing to go through when they are on a non pooping jag.

Do you provide her with pottytime only books (lift the flaps are great for this because it gets them very engaged) to look at on the potty, or an exciting pottytime only handheld game (nothing that isn't either highly washable or disposable)? Might help keep her on the potty if she has something she really likes that she can only use while she's on it (and if she sits there long enough, she's more likely to relax and go).

Getinspired8
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM
My question is when she does go how is it for her and also DOES she go on the potty or have an "accident"? If she's going in the potty and its not terribly uncomfortable for her I'd let it go. You don't have to have a bm every day to be "regular". Also she may have reilized that you are really giving her attention over thi and may be milking it. Kids love attention no matter how much they're given. If her bowels are really hard that is something different and may require a softener like mirrolax.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
eoewan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Is she sitting on a toddler potty or the toilet? If she is on the toilet it could be that she needs her knees up to be comfortable. Other than that - she will go. I used to give my kids dried prunes (the kids loved them and we called them 'sticky fruit'). It was a guarantee for regularity.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:59 PM
2 days ago.

Sorry, yes she is passing gas.
S
Quoting amyleigh80:

When is the last time she pooped? Is she passing gas?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)