Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What to do when kids at school reject my autistic son? - He is 10 years old

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hello everyone,

My son (who is mild to moderate autistic), used to have more friends when he was younger.  Since the end of last school year, he has increased speaking about himself all the time and approaching his peers while speaking about subjects not related to the conversation.    Therefore, kids see him as odd. and don't want to play with him. He had only one friend, but that kid no longer wants to be friends anymore.

The situation is that, now, at school recess, my son has no one to play with and worst than that, all his friends play happily together.  Today, we went to a field trip and I saw pain in his eyes when he saw all of his "old" friends hanging out together.

I am in so much pain right now, I don't know what to do.  

Next week, the behavioral therapist will start him in social skills therapy at home.  Meantime, how can I handle the pain to know that he goes to school to have a horrible time with classmates?

Thanks for any input to this problem.banging head into wall

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
nina2020
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM

BUMP!

THELMAandLOUISE
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I'm sorry your son is having problems. My DD (10) has Aspergers and has never had any friends. PM me if you want to chat. Hope things get better.

CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Sorry. I have a 12 year old son who is high functioning and his main issue is that he is a pleaser. We are scared to death that kids will pick up on this and use him. Luckily so far we have not had that problem. I hope things get better for him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)