Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why I am glad to be a working mom

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 80 Replies
2 moms liked this

Not dissing sahms at all, just offering a different perspective on reasons why I prefer to work.  I have been on both sides, sahm, and now wohm.  Working is definitely the best for my family.  When I was a sahm I only did it for my kids since they were babies.  We lived paycheck to paycheck. It was so very stressful.  It was many times miserable for me because I literally had no money for anything extra. I couldn't even buy myself a cup of coffee and had to scrounge for loose change around the house. Dh paid the basic bills but after that, there was nothing left. We never once used food stamps or wic of any kind. Now my kids are older. Now I work full time.  Now we can finally take a memorable family vacation once a year.  Finally, my kids can be excited to go to a friend's birthday party because we can buy a gift for their friend.  We can eat out when we want to.  They have all their needs met.  And finally, I can have MY needs met too. I can buy myself make up, clothing, shoes, I can pay for hair cuts, we can have plenty of family fun.  Work hard, play harder. Since I began working 4 yrs ago, we finally got to take our first family vacation in 7 yrs, to Florida, and another to a cabin in the mountains.  These are times we will never forget.  Our lives are so much more improved since I began working.  What kind of life is it when you can never enjoy it or do something for yourself? some sahms may be lucky enough that their dh makes enough to have needs met and extra, but it wasn't that way for us, and for the majority of people out there.  

disclaimer: when I say I can buy myself shoes, that means one pair of sneakers that I need, one dress shoes, and one pair of sandals from Kohls, I do not have 800 pairs of fancy shoes. When I say I can get clothes, that means things I need from Kohls or Target, not Nieman Marcus. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pennerb538
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Congrats
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pennerb538
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM
4 moms liked this
Spending time with my children is worth more to me then vacations, clothing , etc..... Just saying
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I agree. I think if you can afford to stay home and not be on assistance, then go for it, if you cant, you need to work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:14 PM

did I mention my kids can experience summer camp for the first time since I can finally afford it? going to a camp used to be totally out of our reach.

Autumn19
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM
1 mom liked this
after the night i had working would be a vaccation. I love my son but 24/7 gets to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcoll
by Brandi on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:15 PM

If we were in a situation such as that I would want to work as well.

I'm glad things have improved mama.

ANSLUASI
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Sounds like you did it right, Mama:)

Being a SAHM when they are young is best for the little ones if financially possible, but once they are older, I think returning to work a least part time is a good idea. They are no longer as dependent and needy, allowing you to focus on employment, and having a decent job allows you to afford the extras (like vacations, extracurricular activities, etc)  that make life so special for older kids. Little ones get jazzed by a cheapo trip to the park or beach, but once they are older, it takes more money to provide family fun.

Bknotnobody
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I love working!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chickensmommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I love being a working mom. Dd knows I get to help people every day. She is proud of me.
brebugmom91
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Good for you! Hopefully when dh gets home from his deployment I can get a good job. It would be nice to have dh here, and be ok money wise.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)