Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

sick baby, tips please

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies
In having a hard time getting him to drink anything. He was drinking fine this morning and yesterday but then out of nowhere around noon I can barley get him to drink. He hates popsicle, I've tried pedilyte, water, juice, bottle, sippy, straw, syringe......idk what else too do. He's 15 months. He's been sick for 3 days. We were at the er last night. He has double ear infection, possible strep, and upper repository infection.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM

sugar water worked for us when ds3 was 6 months. 1-2 tsp of sugar for every 8 oz of water, use the temp he most prefers.

LadyBugMom09
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I would take him back to the er. They may need to put an IV to get fluids in him. He can dehydrate very quickly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Why did you let your kid get that sick???

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:26 PM

I use a medicine dropper and squirt it gently into their cheek. Repeatedly. It's a pain but I'd rather do that than end up at the ER. By the second or third time around it becomes a game where they want to help, so that makes it easier too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:27 PM
The doc told me to give my son a sip or two of water every ten minutes until he would take more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pce68
by Patti on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Why are you being a jerk? She didn't let him get sick. He just got sick. She said she took him to the er. What else do you expect her to do?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Are you kidding me? I really fucking hope so. I didn't let him get that sick. I've been doing everything to keep my family healthy, he started out with a runny nose and a low fever, the next day fever spiked and we headed to the er.

Quoting Anonymous:

gcstar42
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Wow I have never heard of a kid who doesn't like popsicles! Have you tried something like gatorade? That may taste better than the other things you have given him. Pedialyte is just disgusting, water probably just doesn't seem good to him right now, and juice might be too acidic and burn going down. So I would try gatorade or possibly even koolaid or something like that. I know it has a lot of sugar but that would be better than him getting dehydrated.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:33 PM
We've been trying that, he runs away, shakes his head, our throws himself around, from 630 to 8 I've got 3tsps in him by syringe. Earlier he drank like 4 oz from a cup and this morning he drank 7 oz of milk. His last wet diaper was 630, wasn't soaked tho

Quoting Anonymous:

I use a medicine dropper and squirt it gently into their cheek. Repeatedly. It's a pain but I'd rather do that than end up at the ER. By the second or third time around it becomes a game where they want to help, so that makes it easier too.

JudesAwsomeMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:34 PM
This. Take him back to the er

Quoting LadyBugMom09:

I would take him back to the er. They may need to put an IV to get fluids in him. He can dehydrate very quickly.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)