Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I still get tested?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies

So I'm going annonymous here because I'm a litte embarassed.  I've been dating my current boyfriend for about 9 months now and we still haven't had sex.  It's a mutual agreement, I'm widowed and he is my first serious relationship since my late husband so I don't mind waiting.  I did sleep with 1 guy a year after my husband died but there's been no one since then.  

Recently I've been wondering if I should go get an STD screening.  When I had my son I got whatever screening they do then but never had anything before or since.  I remember back when I was 18 I had gotten some ingrown hairs that got infected and I had to go to the Dr's for, they said at the time it might be herpes but gave me antibiotics and it cleared up and I never had another issue in 10 years.  

Lately I've been reading alot about how people can go years without ever realizing they have an STD and never have any symptoms and then something happens and they realize they gave someone something.  

So I made an appointment to go get a screening done and told my boyfriend about it.  In hindsight I probably should have discussed it with him first because I told him about it tonight and he seems to think it's pointless.  He said he appreciates my concern but that it's been years and I've never had any problems so I don't have anything.  I just feel like I should be sure, I would feel awful if I ever gave him something unknowingly. 

Wow this is getting long...so my question is am I overthinking all this and should I cancel the appointment or should I go for my own piece of mind?  Thanks ladies!!!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I would go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:57 PM

it doesnt hurt to get tested, its better to be sure than have to guess ya know...

.Nobody.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I think both of you should get tested.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM
You were tested while preggo if you haven't had sex since then I wouldn't bother but he should for your safety and you should have regular pap smears ect and you should use condoms until you know he's clean
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Go, it can't possibly hurt anything. This is sooo tmi, so if you keep reading, you were warned. When I was 18, this guy I was seeing got an awful rash on his face after...going down. I'd only slept with one other guy and I freaked out. Turns out, he was allergic to my soap, but I got tested anyway.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:09 PM

LOL about the soap allergy thats actually kinda funny I would have freaked out too!!

I think I am definitely still going to go just for myself at least.  I guess his reaction threw me for a loop, I thought he'd be glad I was thinking of his safety and that I care.  Instead he just seemed weirded out?  Maybe just a guy thing?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:11 PM
You should ALWAYS go before being with a new partner. No matter what.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM
I would go ahead. It's always good to get tested before a new relationship (and try and talk your boyfriend into also getting tested) damn those ingrown hairs! Lol after SO and I had been dating for about 3 months I found a bump and freaked out! All I could think was he had given me the herp. Nope just an ingrown hair lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM
He probably is thinking if you do it that he has to do it too. Getting tested and having these discussions can make people uncomfortable because there is always that "what if" and many people would rather be ignorant to it than believe they are "dirty" due to a STD. You should both get tested before becoming intimate.

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL about the soap allergy thats actually kinda funny I would have freaked out too!!

I think I am definitely still going to go just for myself at least.  I guess his reaction threw me for a loop, I thought he'd be glad I was thinking of his safety and that I care.  Instead he just seemed weirded out?  Maybe just a guy thing?

elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Definitely go, it will be good for your peace of mind! You'll spend way too much time worrying about it if you don't go! There's definitely no harm in just making sure everything's ok! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)