Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was stupid and as a result I was robbed...crappity crap.

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM
  • 65 Replies
1 mom liked this

I am sooo mad and upset right now. I did something stupid and the universe saw fit to kick my ass over it. I went to CVS for medicine at 1 am yesterday morning and left my wallet in the console of my car when I got home. Just my luck someone decided to go through my neighborhood and break into cars. My car was one of six cars. They left the wallet but took my driver's license, two credit cards, my bank card, and I THOUGHT they took checks from the book that was in the wallet. We filed a police report (which is how we know about the other cars in our neighborhood), canceled the three cards, and had an alert put on our bank account. Suntrust told us that if we could figure out which check numbers were stolen they could cancel them or block them...something like that. Well either I had another book of checks somewhere in my car OR the thieves took a deposit slip or wrote down our account and routing info because all the check numbers add up to what I have in my register.

Wellll, even with the alert on our account, someone went IN to a branch and wrote a check out to cash, as me with my license and emptied our bank account down to a zero balance this afternoon. The guy I spoke to over the phone put it through to the claims department and said they should get the money back to us tomorrow and be able to give us the name of the branch the check was written at. I am freaking out. Payday is tomorrow. I still don't have a driver's license because I was waiting on my new bank card to get here. My husband has been relatively cool about this but now says I can "clean up this mess" without him. I don't know what else to do. Can they block ALL our checks??

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
D.O.E.
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:31 PM

yikes!!!!!!! shitty luck 

i dont know how any of that works, sorry, so here is a bump

got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM
you have to close your checking acct and have everything rerouted to a new one. the bank manager should be able to help you set that up. whoever entered the bank branch should be on camera, so it shouldnt be hard to prove it wasnt you. good luck mama. and im sorry for your bad luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Daylorenasmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
If they stole checks you need to close you whole account and just start over at least that's what my bank had me do when i lost my wallet with my checks in it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Well geez, no need for him to be an ass. Stuff happens. I would just go into the bank and speak with a manager, maybe they can tell you the best way to handle it. I had a situation with a roommate once and they just said the close the account and open a new one
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcclainprincess
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Thank goodness they're putting the money back into your account.. I think now would be a good time to just be relieved that they broke into your car and not your home..

Could you maybe open a new account?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BEXi
by BEXi on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Oh no I am sorry I am of no help, but here is a bump for you. :( GOOD LUCK!!!

Money Hungry Mommy Blog

ANSLUASI
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you contacted the credit bureaus and put a freeze on your name yet? If not, do it ASAP. Very easy and cheap, and with this done, no one, not even you, can open a new line of credit at all unless it is the freeze is first unlocked via password.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I would just close out the bank account you have and open a new 1 with new info on it. thats the easiest and best way to do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Yes get in there tomm and close the account!!
ilovemykids323
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:37 PM

they can close that checking account and open another one for you. I'm still trying to figure out how they could use your id they would have to look like you to get away with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN