Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was stupid and as a result I was robbed...crappity crap.

Posted by   + Show Post

I am sooo mad and upset right now. I did something stupid and the universe saw fit to kick my ass over it. I went to CVS for medicine at 1 am yesterday morning and left my wallet in the console of my car when I got home. Just my luck someone decided to go through my neighborhood and break into cars. My car was one of six cars. They left the wallet but took my driver's license, two credit cards, my bank card, and I THOUGHT they took checks from the book that was in the wallet. We filed a police report (which is how we know about the other cars in our neighborhood), canceled the three cards, and had an alert put on our bank account. Suntrust told us that if we could figure out which check numbers were stolen they could cancel them or block them...something like that. Well either I had another book of checks somewhere in my car OR the thieves took a deposit slip or wrote down our account and routing info because all the check numbers add up to what I have in my register.

Wellll, even with the alert on our account, someone went IN to a branch and wrote a check out to cash, as me with my license and emptied our bank account down to a zero balance this afternoon. The guy I spoke to over the phone put it through to the claims department and said they should get the money back to us tomorrow and be able to give us the name of the branch the check was written at. I am freaking out. Payday is tomorrow. I still don't have a driver's license because I was waiting on my new bank card to get here. My husband has been relatively cool about this but now says I can "clean up this mess" without him. I don't know what else to do. Can they block ALL our checks??

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
areles
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:37 PM
wow. I'm so sorry. that sucks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TashaB82
by Tootie on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I would have thought they would have put some kind of alert on your account. 

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Close the account! Blocking checks will not help .
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GigantaursMommy
by MrsAwesomePants on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Why is your DH being such a jerk!? It's not your fault someone broke into your car and stole your stuff. Should you have left your wallet int here? Probably not. Does it mean you are responsible for someone robbing you? Absolutely not.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would open a new account, transfer all the money (once you get it back) to the new account, and close the old account.

CafeMom Tickers
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM

I am sorry. that really sucks. heres wishing some luck your way.

RLT2
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM

If someone stole my checks, I would have closed that account immediately. Do it right away.

FooLynRoo
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM
2 moms liked this
any bank should know to close the account they don't need a check just the account number. demand a manager why the account wasn't frozen immediately. good god
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Doesn't your bank have camera's so you get the person who stole your money on tape and have them arrested?

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM

You have to close your account and open a new one so you don't have the same account number.  They should have offered to do this for you from the start.  In those situation, they can usually waive all the waiting periods,  like when an account is new they'll hold checks for a certain number of days and such.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)