Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was stupid and as a result I was robbed...crappity crap.

Posted by   + Show Post

I am sooo mad and upset right now. I did something stupid and the universe saw fit to kick my ass over it. I went to CVS for medicine at 1 am yesterday morning and left my wallet in the console of my car when I got home. Just my luck someone decided to go through my neighborhood and break into cars. My car was one of six cars. They left the wallet but took my driver's license, two credit cards, my bank card, and I THOUGHT they took checks from the book that was in the wallet. We filed a police report (which is how we know about the other cars in our neighborhood), canceled the three cards, and had an alert put on our bank account. Suntrust told us that if we could figure out which check numbers were stolen they could cancel them or block them...something like that. Well either I had another book of checks somewhere in my car OR the thieves took a deposit slip or wrote down our account and routing info because all the check numbers add up to what I have in my register.

Wellll, even with the alert on our account, someone went IN to a branch and wrote a check out to cash, as me with my license and emptied our bank account down to a zero balance this afternoon. The guy I spoke to over the phone put it through to the claims department and said they should get the money back to us tomorrow and be able to give us the name of the branch the check was written at. I am freaking out. Payday is tomorrow. I still don't have a driver's license because I was waiting on my new bank card to get here. My husband has been relatively cool about this but now says I can "clean up this mess" without him. I don't know what else to do. Can they block ALL our checks??

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Replies (21-30):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Close that account and open another one...........at a different bank....smdh

StacyO722
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Close the acct and open up a new one ASAP.

sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Close the account and open a new one. It's pretty simple actually. I had to do it once....someone called and told me they got my information from an online purchase I had made....the guy actually read me my routing number and account number. I closed the account as soon as I got off the phone with him. They never had a chance to touch my money. 

Good luck. 

mom_3.0
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Youre gonna need a new checking account. And tbe old one will be flagged
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommie2Kailen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM

they can block a series of check numbers but I wouldnt feel saf doing it, They have my info and thats enough for me to clos ethat account Im sorry this happened to you

xElizabethx
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM

So what really freaks me out about this is that it apparently happened just minutes after I got home. I didn't see or hear anything out of the norm. The police said one of my neighbors went out to get cold medicine for her kids and came back at 1:30 am and 10 minutes later noticed a light on outside and it was the dome light for her car. I was trying to avoid closing the account because we have stuff go in and come out automatically. I wasn't really concerned since we cancelled the cards so fast and all the check numbers were accounted for. If the answer to this question is yes then I am going to sound super dumb...can you walk into a bank and withdraw money from an account without a bank card or check??

PoisonousBlonde
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM
My friend had the something happen. She had to shut her account down and get a new one. Hopefully, it doesn't take as long as it did for her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babyboy117
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Oh no : / I hope they catch the thieves.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
soon2bmomof3619
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Yes you can, they will transfer your funds to a new account and should have records that give you the phone numbers for all your automatic transactions. You'll have to call them and update your new information, but it's better than someone having your account number, because they have access to all money you have.

calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Id close your account and open a new one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)