Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I was stupid and as a result I was robbed...crappity crap.

Posted by   + Show Post

I am sooo mad and upset right now. I did something stupid and the universe saw fit to kick my ass over it. I went to CVS for medicine at 1 am yesterday morning and left my wallet in the console of my car when I got home. Just my luck someone decided to go through my neighborhood and break into cars. My car was one of six cars. They left the wallet but took my driver's license, two credit cards, my bank card, and I THOUGHT they took checks from the book that was in the wallet. We filed a police report (which is how we know about the other cars in our neighborhood), canceled the three cards, and had an alert put on our bank account. Suntrust told us that if we could figure out which check numbers were stolen they could cancel them or block them...something like that. Well either I had another book of checks somewhere in my car OR the thieves took a deposit slip or wrote down our account and routing info because all the check numbers add up to what I have in my register.

Wellll, even with the alert on our account, someone went IN to a branch and wrote a check out to cash, as me with my license and emptied our bank account down to a zero balance this afternoon. The guy I spoke to over the phone put it through to the claims department and said they should get the money back to us tomorrow and be able to give us the name of the branch the check was written at. I am freaking out. Payday is tomorrow. I still don't have a driver's license because I was waiting on my new bank card to get here. My husband has been relatively cool about this but now says I can "clean up this mess" without him. I don't know what else to do. Can they block ALL our checks??

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Replies (31-40):
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Go to the bank and change the bank acct number. Also go to the police and let them know that your identity was used and tell them which bank and they can go in and get the camera footage.

xElizabethx
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:48 PM

CRAP! I did NOT even think of that!

Quoting ANSLUASI:

Have you contacted the credit bureaus and put a freeze on your name yet? If not, do it ASAP. Very easy and cheap, and with this done, no one, not even you, can open a new line of credit at all unless it is the freeze is first unlocked via password.

Kellileanne
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:48 PM

My bank just cancelled the numbers I had ordered so they just sent new checks with higher numbers..

soon2bmomof3619
by Tinkerbell on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Oh and I had to do this before myself, because I did one of the credit check things that take a dollar and put it back, which apparently authorized some other company to take over 100 from me :/ and they wouldn't refund or cancel. I was able to close the previous account and open the new one at the same time, too like 20ish minutes to do. Sorry this happened to you it sucks.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:50 PM

They absolutely can block a range of checks, but honestly it would be easier and probably smarter to just close the account and open a new one for you. They really should have told you that in the first place because no matter how many alerts they put on your account, a person with your checkbook and altered ID can walk into a Walmart with your checkbook, write a check, show ID, cash it, and make you have to work harder to protect your money.

xElizabethx
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Um, me too!! So either a teller was not paying attention or there is a douche walking around my town that looks like me. I'm also trying to figure out how they managed to check the balance and withdraw the entire amount in the account without a check or bank card. Unless I had another checkbook stashed in the car somewhere (I REALLY don't think I did) I don't know how they wrote a check. All the guy on the 24 hour suntrust line could tell me was how much was taken out and that it was a check written out to cash and done inside the bank. When the check clears the account they'll be able to see a scan of the check, what time it was done, and what branch/teller handled it.

Quoting ilovemykids323:

they can close that checking account and open another one for you. I'm still trying to figure out how they could use your id they would have to look like you to get away with that.

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM

This. Start over with your bank account and put a fraud alert on your credit file.

Quoting ANSLUASI:

Have you contacted the credit bureaus and put a freeze on your name yet? If not, do it ASAP. Very easy and cheap, and with this done, no one, not even you, can open a new line of credit at all unless it is the freeze is first unlocked via password.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM

when you go to the dmv to get a new license don't just request a new dl but request they change the numbers on it as well. otherwise they can use your id to steal your identity and open bank accounts in your name and that. 

ANSLUASI
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Here's a link to info on how to do it:) You can do it online 24/7. http://credit.about.com/od/privacyconcerns/qt/securityfreeze.htm

Quoting xElizabethx:

CRAP! I did NOT even think of that!

Quoting ANSLUASI:

heather77g
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Oh no that is horrible! I really hope they straighten this out and I pray they can get your money back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)