Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DH has just had the "talk" with me....what do I do now,?

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM
  • 186 Replies
He said he wants to enlist in the Navy.... I'm freaking out....I want to be supportive and I'm putting on a brave face but everything in me is screaming don't do it, don't leave me..... We've never spent more than 24 hours apart in the last 6 years of our marriage..... How will I explain why daddy isn't home for months at a time to our kids..... I know nothing about our military forces but now I feel like I should read everything I can get my hands on.....Anyone been through this? I need all the info I can get... He's 24, we've been married 6 years and we have small children
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM
5 moms liked this
My DH wouldn't be going, or we would be splitting up. I don't wait around for anybody.

So clearly, I'm no help so here's a bump.
darnette
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM
2 moms liked this

FL2AK
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

His first step is to find someone who can tell him the truth about the military and what to expect.  The second would be to take a practice ASVAB, then go see a recruiter.  I would not go into the Navy due to the chance of being gone for 6 months at a time.

darnette
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Thanks anyway

Quoting Anonymous:

My DH wouldn't be going, or we would be splitting up. I don't wait around for anybody.

So clearly, I'm no help so here's a bump.

GagaNTattooS
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM
4 moms liked this
The navy isn't as bad as other branches.. Let him do it if he wants to serve his country
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Sorry. I got nothing.
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Sorry I'm not. My xh enlisted after we divorced and dh didn't receive medical clearance when he was 18. But I have lots of friends whose husbands are Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VannaMae307
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM
7 moms liked this
Your support for him will be priceless to him. I can guarantee he has put a ton of thought into it and he believes you can handle it. Separation is hard but havent you heard 'Absence makes the heart grow stronger'?

It will be a whirlwind but you will be fine! He is a great guy for making this sacrifice, he knows he will see you and the kids less. There will be a ton of resources available to you as a spouse. Childcare, activities, family group support...you may find yourself loving it! Good luck, go give him a big kiss and think about how hot the sex will be when you havent seen him for a while.... ;-)
got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM
idk, former army wife here, so im all for going in. good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RLT2
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM
9 moms liked this

That's a HUGE decision. Both of you should be 100% on board before it happens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)