Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone a paid caretaker for an elderly relative?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am curious. I have had so many people tell that I could be getting legally paid to do what I am doing for my great grandma and I do need the money, but don't want her care to suffer in my absence. Is anyone here paid to care for their elderly family member? How did you go about it? Were there any trainings you had to take? Did you pay for the trainings out of pocket and if so how much did it cost? Thank you.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
mybabytristan
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Bumping for the morning. I've been a nurses aide for 11 years I'm sure I could help walk you through...I took a new medicine and my eyes are heavy though lol. Ill be back
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM

IF a relative can get paid for providing childcare, there is no reason why you cant get paid.

I do know that a relative childcare provider must be licensed through the state. But it isn;t hard. CPR, background check and a 4 hour class in my area.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Quoting mybabytristan:

Bumping for the morning. I've been a nurses aide for 11 years I'm sure I could help walk you through...I took a new medicine and my eyes are heavy though lol. Ill be back

Thank you. Sleep well.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

IF a relative can get paid for providing childcare, there is no reason why you cant get paid.

I do know that a relative childcare provider must be licensed through the state. But it isn;t hard. CPR, background check and a 4 hour class in my area.

I was working child care until earlier this month. I have CPR, first aid, and MAT training (which allows me to provide the children meds with parental permission) all current. Plus all the other trainings my job made me take.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I was working child care until earlier this month. I have CPR, first aid, and MAT training (which allows me to provide the children meds with parental permission) all current. Plus all the other trainings my job made me take.

I'll google for you- what state are you in?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM

New Jersey.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

I'll google for you- what state are you in?

dcdmattison03
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Yeash she was but the agency isn't paying her for taking care of her. Her grannys insurance is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting dcdmattison03:

My cousin takes care of her grandmother. She works through an agency but the insurance pays my cousin though

Was she working for the agency before she had to care for her grandmother? Do you know? Thanks for the reply though.

supermama322
by Kaylee on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM
I'm in Canada so none of the above.
I believe my Mum spoke to her physio worker about it, or the workers comp people. Idk. Maybe start with the state??

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting supermama322:

You can receive payment for that I'm sure. I got paid for taking care of my mum after hip surgery

Who did you contact for payment? Medicare or SS or the state?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM

okie dokie. Thank you very much.

Quoting supermama322:

I'm in Canada so none of the above.
I believe my Mum spoke to her physio worker about it, or the workers comp people. Idk. Maybe start with the state??

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting supermama322:

You can receive payment for that I'm sure. I got paid for taking care of my mum after hip surgery

Who did you contact for payment? Medicare or SS or the state?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Okay. Thank you.

Quoting dcdmattison03:

Yeash she was but the agency isn't paying her for taking care of her. Her grannys insurance is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting dcdmattison03:

My cousin takes care of her grandmother. She works through an agency but the insurance pays my cousin though

Was she working for the agency before she had to care for her grandmother? Do you know? Thanks for the reply though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN