Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone a paid caretaker for an elderly relative?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am curious. I have had so many people tell that I could be getting legally paid to do what I am doing for my great grandma and I do need the money, but don't want her care to suffer in my absence. Is anyone here paid to care for their elderly family member? How did you go about it? Were there any trainings you had to take? Did you pay for the trainings out of pocket and if so how much did it cost? Thank you.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Contact medicare and social security. I believe your great-grandmother would have to be considered low income and a doctor would have to determine she is in need of in-home care.

I don't know anyone that was paid to take care of an elderly person, but my friend suffered a traumatic brain injury a few years ago and requires 24 hour care. Because her parents chose for her to live in their home rather than a nursing home, her mom received a small check from medicaid/medicare to take care of her and my friend received social security. Now that my friend's mom is her legal guardian, her mom receives the social security check, but she cannot get paid to take care of her daughter. She can, however, pay a PCA to come in and take care of my friend if she chooses to work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Ok- it took a bit but I think I found something to help you

Follow this link. They offer support services and will know exactly what can and can't be done to make sure you and your g-ma receive the best help and information.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:40 PM

The doctor has already stated she cannot live alone which is why I am to be her caretaker. She gets about $900 for SS and has to cover rent, food, and necessary meds with that. From what I gather medicare pays the family member less than they would pay an agency to send a PCA, but I don't know how to go about doing so and what trainings I would need if any. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Contact medicare and social security. I believe your great-grandmother would have to be considered low income and a doctor would have to determine she is in need of in-home care.

I don't know anyone that was paid to take care of an elderly person, but my friend suffered a traumatic brain injury a few years ago and requires 24 hour care. Because her parents chose for her to live in their home rather than a nursing home, her mom received a small check from medicaid/medicare to take care of her and my friend received social security. Now that my friend's mom is her legal guardian, her mom receives the social security check, but she cannot get paid to take care of her daughter. She can, however, pay a PCA to come in and take care of my friend if she chooses to work.

Michelle479
by Mother Rabbit on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:45 PM

If ur grandmother has medicaid then u can contact dmas to see if she fits into one of their waiver programs ifshe does then u can be paid to take care of her.    http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/dmahs/home/index.html

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Quoting Michelle479:

If ur grandmother has medicaid then u can contact dmas to see if she fits into one of their waiver programs ifshe does then u can be paid to take care of her.    http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/dmahs/home/index.html

On her own she didn't qualify. Once we open a case, she will be covered as part of our household for whatever Medicare did not cover. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Thanks so much!

Quoting Anonymous:

Ok- it took a bit but I think I found something to help you

Follow this link. They offer support services and will know exactly what can and can't be done to make sure you and your g-ma receive the best help and information.

gravercem
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I was paid to take care of my husband after his stroke, we called social services and were put in touch with a caseworker who walked us threw getting him state cert. disabled , then we went on what our state calls a caddy weiver that gave us 32.000 a year to pay for care, anything needed that his medical insurence would not pay, like aids to help him put on his own socks ect.  They also paid to have a ramp put on our house and to have our bathroom redone with a roll in shower, handicap toilet along with widening all our door ways.  I know I could have paid a family member or went threw a agency for a caregiver for him.  I choose to do it myself, being paid for it made it possiable for us to live during the six years he was recovering from his stroke.

Michelle479
by Mother Rabbit on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Call your local social services and ask them about dmas and public partnerships paying you. Any small change in income or housing can make a difference in qualifications for the different waiver programs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Michelle479:

If ur grandmother has medicaid then u can contact dmas to see if she fits into one of their waiver programs if she does then u can be paid to take care of her.    http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/dmahs/home/index.html

On her own she didn't qualify. Once we open a case, she will be covered as part of our household for whatever Medicare did not cover. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I'm glad that was available for you. 

Quoting gravercem:

I was paid to take care of my husband after his stroke, we called social services and were put in touch with a caseworker who walked us threw getting him state cert. disabled , then we went on what our state calls a caddy weiver that gave us 32.000 a year to pay for care, anything needed that his medical insurence would not pay, like aids to help him put on his own socks ect.  They also paid to have a ramp put on our house and to have our bathroom redone with a roll in shower, handicap toilet along with widening all our door ways.  I know I could have paid a family member or went threw a agency for a caregiver for him.  I choose to do it myself, being paid for it made it possiable for us to live during the six years he was recovering from his stroke.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Thank you. I will. I am waiting for my case to be closed for Medicaid in my previous state and once I have the letter regarding the case closure, I will go in for help.

Quoting Michelle479:

Call your local social services and ask them about dmas and public partnerships paying you. Any small change in income or housing can make a difference in qualifications for the different waiver programs.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Michelle479:

If ur grandmother has medicaid then u can contact dmas to see if she fits into one of their waiver programs if she does then u can be paid to take care of her.    http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/dmahs/home/index.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)