Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Anyone a paid caretaker for an elderly relative?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am curious. I have had so many people tell that I could be getting legally paid to do what I am doing for my great grandma and I do need the money, but don't want her care to suffer in my absence. Is anyone here paid to care for their elderly family member? How did you go about it? Were there any trainings you had to take? Did you pay for the trainings out of pocket and if so how much did it cost? Thank you.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Replies (31-39):
mybabytristan
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Ok a basic to the point summary lol....does she have insurance? If so you need homecare to be approved through that. Then you need to talk to a homecare agency and tell them you would like to work for them to be her main care provider. This also leaves opportunity that if you need a day off you can do that and her still have care.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:55 PM
She only has Medicare for insurance right now. We have yet to apply for Medicaid as a family to cover everything Medicare doesn't pay for. Her meds are super expensive even with the discount.

Quoting mybabytristan:

Ok a basic to the point summary lol....does she have insurance? If so you need homecare to be approved through that. Then you need to talk to a homecare agency and tell them you would like to work for them to be her main care provider. This also leaves opportunity that if you need a day off you can do that and her still have care.
mybabytristan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Its a process but she should have a case worker. I would call the case worker and inform her of the condition and that she needs help at home and family is unable to continue doing it...that's what gets things moving on getting home care approved

Quoting Anonymous:

She only has Medicare for insurance right now. We have yet to apply for Medicaid as a family to cover everything Medicare doesn't pay for. Her meds are super expensive even with the discount.

Quoting mybabytristan:

Lovemyboys1212
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I am in the process of doing that right now. I went through the senior linkage line in my state. Basically what i got out of it is my grandma will pay a company a certain amount a week and the company will match it and mail me a check. No training needed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I get paid about $400 a month to care for my mother. I did not  have to do any training. We just went to Health and Welfare and filled out some papers and had to get a DR note stating she could not care for herself.

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I would personally never charge my great-grandmother to care for her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I am not attempting to charge my great grandmother anything, but the state or Medicare would have to pay a home attendant anyway. It is much cheaper for them to pay me a much lesser amount so that I may continue to care for her the way I want to without jeopardizing all of us if our bills cannot be met. NYC and NJ are very expensive to reside in, but I cannot in good conscience take her from the area she remembers especially now that she is forgetting things. God forbid she were to wander off in a new city. I would never know where to find her. She needs 24 hour care, but I have children that need clothing and a husband who cannot make ends meet on his own at the moment.

Quoting LucyHarper:

I would personally never charge my great-grandmother to care for her.

nothinbutsmiles
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM
I have been a private caregiver/CNA for OTHER people's relatives... But I could never charge my own family.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Neither do any of the people that are paid for it. The insurance pays for it because it is cheaper to pay a family member minimum wage than paying an agency $30 an hour to pay the employee $8 per hour. If o have to go and work 4 hrs a day plus my commute makes 6 hrs a day I'm not able to be there for her and the kids. I had to quit my job in order to move, but my husband can't support a family of 5 alone, meaning I need to earn an income somehow.

Quoting nothinbutsmiles:

I have been a private caregiver/CNA for OTHER people's relatives... But I could never charge my own family.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)