Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

At what point do you...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
Take your child 6 yo almost 7 to the er for flu like symptoms?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Children and Flu

Some parents think the flu is a stomach bug. But while children may have nausea, stomach pain and/or vomiting with flu, the key influenza symptoms in children include a high fever, chills and shakes, body aches, headaches and a dry hackingcough.

What causes flu in children?

The flu is caused by one of three types of influenza viruses. Types A and B are responsible for the yearly flu epidemics, and type C flu virus causes sporadic mildillness. Type A flu virus is further divided into different subtypes based on the chemical structure of the virus.

For in-depth information about what causes flu, see WebMD's Flu Facts: Causes of Flu.

How is flu spread among children?

Flu is highly contagious, particularly when people share close quarters as children do in school classrooms. Flu is spread among children when a child either inhales infected droplets in the air (coughed up or sneezed by an infected person) or when the child comes in direct contact with an infected person's secretions. A person can be contagious one day before onset of symptoms and 5-7 days after being sick. This can happen, for example, when they share pencils at school or play computer games and share the remotes or share utensils such as spoons and forks. Hand to hand contact is also important to consider when thinking about how flu is spread.

What are flu symptoms in children?

The symptoms of flu in children are more severe than symptoms of a childhood cold. Symptoms of flu in children start abruptly and usually cause kids to feel the worse during the first two or three days of onset. Flu symptoms in children may include:

• a high-grade fever up to 104 degrees F
  • chills and shakes with the fever
  • extreme tiredness
  • headache and body aches
  • dry, hacking cough
  • sore throat
  • vomiting and belly pain

Are there ways to prevent the flu in children?

The number one way to prevent flu is to get an annual influenza vaccination. The CDC recommends that all people aged 6 months and older receive the flu vaccine to prevent influenza. Vaccinating children with the influenza vaccine each year helps protect them against flu.

To learn more about why it's so important for all children to receive the flu vaccine, watch this video from the CDC: Children Lost to the Flu.

Healthy children over age 2 who don't wheeze or don't have a history of asthma may have the option of getting the nasal spray influenza vaccine. Children aged 6 months and older can receive the flu shot.

Pregnant women and caregivers of children younger than 6 months or children with certain health conditions should be vaccinated. 

For in-depth information about how to prevent the flu in children, see WebMD's Flu Shot: Influenza Vaccine and Side Effects.

Also see WebMD's What Is FluMist?

1 | 2 | 3 

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:21 PM

At this time of night, if they are unable to sleep and in a lot of pain and/or high temperature. Otherwise I would wait it out till morning.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM
She has an 830 am appointment tomorrow. It's only 830 pm right now

Quoting purpleducky:

At this time of night, if they are unable to sleep and in a lot of pain and/or high temperature. Otherwise I would wait it out till morning.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Ah, I am east coast so it is 11:30 here. Is she really uncomfortable? How high is the fever? Can she breath?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting purpleducky:

beachbeauty
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:25 PM

To the ER?  If they had a temp over 102 that was not responding to motrin and tylenol,  any signs of dehydration,  unresponsiveness, or if they were unable to breathe normally (wheezing, can't stop coughing with meds/steam).  Honestly, you know your child best, trust your instincts.

ANSLUASI
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I would call my pedi first, though (pretty much all of them have an on call number for urgent after hour matters), and see if there isn't anything they could do over the phone for me first, based on symptoms. We did this for DD once, for example, when she started a bad stomach flu in the middle of the night and couldn't stop vomiting (we knew it was a bug andnot food poisoning because I had had the same thing a few days earlier). He called in a script for an anti-emetic and DH picked it up at an all night Walgreens. It did the trick and also saved DD hours in an ER around who knows what other germs. Your pedi might be able to help you in a similar situation, I hope:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:28 PM
She has a 103 fever as of 2 min ago. I tried to give her Motrin but she barffed it up less than a min later. She can breath but has bad body aches.

Quoting purpleducky:

Ah, I am east coast so it is 11:30 here. Is she really uncomfortable? How high is the fever? Can she breath?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting purpleducky:

unspecified42
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Temp over 105 that I couldn't keep down with home interventions, difficulty breathing, or severe lethargy.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Has she been able to keep anything down?

Quoting Anonymous:

She has a 103 fever as of 2 min ago. I tried to give her Motrin but she barffed it up less than a min later. She can breath but has bad body aches.

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting purpleducky:

unspecified42
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Give her some Tylenol. Suppositories are good for when they are puking. Luke warm bath, don't bundle her up, give her something cool to drink, and recheck in an hour or two. Body aches are from the fever and should decrease when her fever goes down. 103 isn't that high for a child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting purpleducky:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)