Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

children misbehave? maybe its your parenting?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 80 Replies
23 moms liked this
Had a lady that worked for me show up two HOURS late for work (bout 7 yrs ago).. her excuse? My daughter wouldnt get in her carseat. (She was 2.5)

My exes son with new wife.. throws a fit, get what he wants so he will "be quiet". Now in preschool and cant /first wont follow rules or behave. Massive fit thrower now.

My kids are well behaved and well adjusted. Sure, we have problems but they are not defiant and they MIND. I can take them anywhere, and always have. They understand what behaviir is expected of them. Our biggest issue is keeping thier rooms clean.

I was a single mom for years. I didnt have time for misbehavior. I didnt reward misbehavior. QUIT REWARDING MISBEHAVIOR!! Just stop!

They talk back? Immediately to bed. They dont want to get in tbier carseat? Put them in there! They dont want to feed the dog? They dont eat till the dog does. Bad grades? No tv and extra homework at home. Stop rescuing your kids and make them responsible for their own actions.

Positive reinforcement is a must. But punishments in relationship to the crime is also important. Dont be a friend..be a parent.!!
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Oh first lady i referenced...her kid is a massive primadonna. Mouthy, disrespectful, rude.. tbe whole nine. Her mom didnt parent her when she was young...now she is difficult to control.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM
7 moms liked this
Not all bad children have bad parents and vice versa. Though I do agree some parents give in to easily.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont think there are bad children. A childs behavior may be bad....but the child is not.

Quoting Retrokitty:

Not all bad children have bad parents and vice versa. Though I do agree some parents give in to easily.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I fully agree!

It blows my mind that parents are so lazy and just give in to the bad behavior. Great, now you have a tantrum throwing brat of a child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! And they dont see the correlation. So frustrating

Quoting Anonymous:

I fully agree!

It blows my mind that parents are so lazy and just give in to the bad behavior. Great, now you have a tantrum throwing brat of a child.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you.  When I hear that a chld won't get in the carseat, or won't get dressed, or won't wear anything but a certain article of clothing, or won't eat anything but Fruit Loops (yeah, I knew a girl like that, her mom totally gave in to everything), it's not the kid.  MAKE them do it.  You're the adult, and their parent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Yeah, my SS's mother feeds into her sons behavior and has made him an awful child. It takes about 2 hours for him to adjust when he comes to our house.

Lots of tantrums, crying, and time outs. Then finally a better behaved child.

I have such a long life ahead of me.....
Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM

This.

Quoting Retrokitty:

beachbeauty
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM
7 moms liked this

While yes, there are parents that don't parent and reward misbehavior, there are also other situations that may be going on that you don't know about.  What works with one child may not work with another.  I have one child who I once told him he couldn't do something he wanted to do.  He said "what will happen if I do?"  I told him the consequence and he said "okay, it's worth it" and headed out the door to do it anyway!  (I stopped him).  I have another child with ODD that I can't parent the same way I parent my other children.  Parenting isn't one size fits all.

Tal0n
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

This is very true!  I used to do that, knowing if I got caught I'd get spanked with a belt or hot wheels track.  I figured it only hurt for a little while.  IF I got caught.

Quoting beachbeauty:

While yes, there are parents that don't parent and reward misbehavior, there are also other situations that may be going on that you don't know about.  What works with one child may not work with another.  I have one child who I once told him he couldn't do something he wanted to do.  He said "what will happen if I do?"  I told him the consequence and he said "okay, it's worth it" and headed out the door to do it anyway!  (I stopped him).  I have another child with ODD that I can't parent the same way I parent my other children.  Parenting isn't one size fits all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)