Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

HELP!!! Mama's with acne....

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

since i was 14 ive had horrible acne. in the last three months, i think it's gotten worse than it has ever been before. alot of it i believe is hormonal but having sensitve, super oily yet dry skin does not help.

i need some help!!! any of you with bad acne, have you found any products that help?! I am so tired of not even wanting to leave the house because of my face. i hate going to the dermotologist because they never listen to me and every thing they give me just tears my face apart because i am so sensitive.

HELP ME!

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM

thats my problem, ive tried so many products that never work that i HATE spending a bunch of money on something that im pretty sure won't work any way. ill add that to my list though, mama is desperate.

Quoting NBean311:

Dermalogica is wonderful stuff. It seriously saved my skin. It's a little pricy, but I buy each product maybe once a year, because its super concentrated. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM

well....sucks for me i guess :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes.

Quoting Anonymous:

i've been considering it. i heard you have to be on two different types of birth control on it because of really bad birth defects but i dont like taking birth control and will most likely be trying to get pregnant again within 6 months.  is that true?

Quoting Anonymous:

Accutane. The end.

Queen_Bree
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM

DONT USE THAT SH*T!!! There are law suits against the manufacturer of that drug because it is dangerous.

Published: 2010-06-07

The Real Dangers of Accutane Finally Coming to Light

Accutane, the brand name for the drug Isotretinoin (sold generically as Roaccutane, Amnesteem, Claravis and Sotret), was first marketed by pharmaceutical company Hoffman-LaRoche Inc. in the early 1980’s. It was originally intended to be used as a form of chemotherapy, targeted at fighting certain types of cancers, generally those affecting the skin, breasts, bladder, ovaries, kidneys, head and neck.

Not long after its introduction, however, an unexpectedly positive side effect was discovered: Accutane was amazingly effective in the treatment of severe acne. For many people, it was the only product, either topical or ingested, that helped clear their skin, preventing scarring and other lasting effects associated with cystic and nodular acne.

Definitely Not a “Magic Bullet”

Accutane, magic as it may have seemed for the people who had struggled with severe acne for many years, was not without risk. Countless users were afflicted with common side effects such as dry mouth, bone pain and eyesight changes (particularly night vision), but much more severe side effects were soon reported, including:

• Increased incidence of anxiety and depression (some of which led to suicide)
  • Edema (swelling of the feet or ankles)
  • Markedly increased cholesterol
  • Blood clots
  • Pancreatitis (a painful and potentially fatal inflammation of the pancreas)
  • Jaundice
  • Birth defects
  • Miscarriages
  • Premature births
  • Peeling skin or open sores on the palms

Unfortunately, even more serious complications have been linked to the drug – since 2009, six personal injury lawsuits, resulting in damages of more than $50 million, have successfully shown that users of Accutane or its generic equivalents developed Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD), including Crohn’s Disease (Crohn’s) or Ulcerative Colitis (UC), after taking it. Recently uncovered evidence shows that Hoffman-LaRoche Inc. may have known of the link between Accutane and IBD as early as 1984.

Prior to those decisions, however, Hoffman-LaRoche Inc. had voluntarily recalled Accutane and stopped marketing it, supposedly for “economic reasons.” 

How Does IBD Affect the Body?

Inflammatory bowel disease is an umbrella term that encompasses two serious medical conditions affecting the intestines: Crohn’s and UC. These chronic conditions, somewhat similar in nature, affect the functioning of the intestines. The main difference between the two is the location of the damage to the intestine itself.

Crohn’s primarily affects an area of the small intestine known as the “terminal ileum.” It is considered to be more severe than UC in that it results in damage that can permeate the entire bowel wall. UC, on the other hand, affects the large intestine (colon). The inner lining of the colon swells and develops ulcers, essentially large open sores.

What Are the Symptoms of IBD?

Both UC and Crohn’s cause chronic diarrhea and abdominal cramping. During periods that the disease is particularly active, known as “flares”, the diarrhea can be particularly severe, causing the sufferer to use the restroom as many as 20 times in a single day. This is not only extremely disruptive to a person’s life, it can result in dehydration, low blood pressure and a racing heartbeat. Bloody or mucousy stools are often seen as well.

Other symptoms often occur, including constipation, fever, malnutrition and weight loss. While both forms of IBD are chronic, lifelong conditions, the symptoms can usually be managed with medications or, in extreme cases, surgical intervention.

What Can I Do?

If you or a loved one has developed UC or Crohn’s after using Accutane or a generic equivalent, it is important that you consult a personal injury attorney in your area who can act quickly to preserve your rights.

Quoting Anonymous:

i've been considering it. i heard you have to be on two different types of birth control on it because of really bad birth defects but i dont like taking birth control and will most likely be trying to get pregnant again within 6 months.  is that true?

Quoting Anonymous:

Accutane. The end.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Yep. I had REALLY bad acne until I started doing the Oil cleansing Method and after 6 weeks, I was completely cleared up for the first time ever, and I've only had 1 zit since. It's been a little over a year now.

eve210
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Murad? Its the ONLY thing that helped me. I tried proactive and that did not help at all.

I only used murad for 2 months. It cleared up most of it. After that I only used st.Ives apricot scrub.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ittybit2012
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I use Selsun Blue. Yep, the dandruff shampoo. I started out using it once a day and now it's every other day once a day. Other than the few zits I get when I start my period, it stays pretty clear. Also, that Queen Helene mint julip mask helps a ton too.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:13 AM

i tried murad years ago...did nothing lol

Quoting eve210:

Murad? Its the ONLY thing that helped me. I tried proactive and that did not help at all.

I only used murad for 2 months. It cleared up most of it. After that I only used st.Ives apricot scrub.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Do you have good insurance? If you do go see a dermatologist and ask for metro gel. It worked wonders for me. Until I got pregnant then I had to stops using it lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:13 AM

whats the oil cleansing method?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yep. I had REALLY bad acne until I started doing the Oil cleansing Method and after 6 weeks, I was completely cleared up for the first time ever, and I've only had 1 zit since. It's been a little over a year now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:13 AM
I have the same story and have tried everything. Only thing that has ever worked for me was retin-a. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)