Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

going to lose it!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So sunday night i got a fairly mild tooth ache, it happens every so often, i have a horrible habit at night of clenching my teeth in my sleep so it makes me feel like i have a tooth ache the next day for a little while.. no biggy i took a little tylenol (as its one of the only things i can have since I'm pregnant) dabbed a little orajel on andwent to bed. monday wasn't any better it was much worse... well i thought my dental insurance fiscal yr restarted in feb so i figured i would just wait it out til feb 1 to go because insurance is maxed out. well it got worse, way worse i was up constantly through out the night and orajel only worked for a max of 20 minutes and tylenol didn't do a thing.. tuesday was really really bad, i was in tears a good portion of the day the pain was beyond intense so i called my ob explained the dental insurance issue and asked for meds to hold me over, so he wrote me a script for penicillin and tylenol with codeine (sp?) Took them and 2 hours later the pain hadn't lessened any, of course the entire time i was trying to think of a way to see a dentist, finally it occured to me we have a credit card specifically for dental/medical that i saved for emergencies such as this so i called and found someone willing to see me and they had an appointment open an hr from the call so i went in, turns out i have an exposed nerve. my only options are to extract or root canal and cap, which is $160 vs $2200... honestly there isn't much of a choice, we don't have the $2200 for it :( (if we could find a way to claim what we paid for dhs tuition on taxes we could afford it since we have a portion of it of but we can't) Nd i found out the fiscal year is actually may not feb
Well today i saw my doctor and filled him in on the situation let him know I'm scheduled for next week for the extraction so he offered me stronger pain meds to hold me.over til the penicillin kicked in... well I've taken 3 doses so far and it hasn't touched the pain, the numbing stuff i had hasn't worked, I'm exhausted from lack of sleep because of the pain, today i can't even bite down without getting nauseous from the amount of pain and i just want a little relief even for a little while before i go insane from pain and feeling so helpless with it!

Just a vent i guess to try to keep myself busy since i can't fall asleep :/
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
opal10161973
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Ice cream.  Or cold stuff.  That will help some.

chas1217
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I've had some horrible toothache. One time I seriously thought I was dying from it, my tooth, jaw, ear and brain hurt. I cried hysterically. Antibiotics should start working then it'll start feeling better until you can get it taken care of, till then make sure you take your pain meds.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks, this is my first legit tooth ache and idt I've ever felt this crappy or hurt this much. i literally called my mom at work yesterday hysterically crying cause i felt like i was going insane from helplessness and pain... I've never not been able to ease pain before so its driving me nuts even more

Quoting chas1217:

That sucks, sorry momma. Toothaches are the worst. Hope you start feeling better!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Pregnancy always causes me dental problems but never anything that needed to be taken care of asap or caused pain, usually just stuff like cavities. or whatever :/ this is actually my furthest back tooth on the bottom...
I've tried salt water rinse, warm water rinses, tylenol, tylenol 3, vicodine, orajel, cold compress, clove oil, and this other stuff i have its like orajel but called kanka? and its like a little brush that you twist the bottom of to dispense medicine and brush it on, supposed ro numb it, worked once and than stopped :( there may be other stuff i tried that I'm forgetting...

Quoting bustybee:

I'm sorry. i have lost 4 teeth due to pregnancy (1 from the current and 3 from the last one) thankfully they were only baby molars that would have had to be removed anyways but I understand your pain. have you tried a salt water rinse?

littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry. I've "heard" some of the moms on here say to use clove oil or to put a piece of garlic on it...Hugs I hope you feel better soon =(

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:16 AM

that reallly sucks :( when my last tooth went I called the emergency (aka retired) dentist to pull it (this was after 3 days of agony and "I can get through this"s lol) and that evening for $100 I was pain free :) I used some form of orajel with a different name and it didn't work for me either. must be a pregnancy thing :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Pregnancy always causes me dental problems but never anything that needed to be taken care of asap or caused pain, usually just stuff like cavities. or whatever :/ this is actually my furthest back tooth on the bottom...
I've tried salt water rinse, warm water rinses, tylenol, tylenol 3, vicodine, orajel, cold compress, clove oil, and this other stuff i have its like orajel but called kanka? and its like a little brush that you twist the bottom of to dispense medicine and brush it on, supposed ro numb it, worked once and than stopped :( there may be other stuff i tried that I'm forgetting...

Quoting bustybee:

I'm sorry. i have lost 4 teeth due to pregnancy (1 from the current and 3 from the last one) thankfully they were only baby molars that would have had to be removed anyways but I understand your pain. have you tried a salt water rinse?

Trisha234
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:21 AM
That sounds miserable. Can't the dentist schedule the extraction sooner? You poor thing :-(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I had a smoothie for dinner since I cant bite down and it didnt help :( BUT on a brighter note, at least my tooth isnt sensitive to hot/cold stuff or I'd be in trouble 

Quoting opal10161973:

Ice cream.  Or cold stuff.  That will help some.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Exactly, yesterday I told DH I felt like someone stabbed me in the ear and it was going to explode or something... I'm hoping the antibiotics kick in super soon, I feel crappy cause the kids have been missing out on stuff cause I can't fully function/concentrate to do things we normally would! I wish the pain meds would kick in/help even a tiny bit but so far no luck

Quoting chas1217:

I've had some horrible toothache. One time I seriously thought I was dying from it, my tooth, jaw, ear and brain hurt. I cried hysterically. Antibiotics should start working then it'll start feeling better until you can get it taken care of, till then make sure you take your pain meds.

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks, this is my first legit tooth ache and idt I've ever felt this crappy or hurt this much. i literally called my mom at work yesterday hysterically crying cause i felt like i was going insane from helplessness and pain... I've never not been able to ease pain before so its driving me nuts even more

Quoting chas1217:

That sucks, sorry momma. Toothaches are the worst. Hope you start feeling better!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I tried that (along with a whole list of other things) and sadly it didnt do anything at all :( But if vicodin isnt helping I doubt anything will til antibiotics kick in

Quoting littlesippycup:

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry. I've "heard" some of the moms on here say to use clove oil or to put a piece of garlic on it...Hugs I hope you feel better soon =(

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:30 AM

The extraction should be $140 ish unless it requires more work (like cutting it out) than it'll be $240 max. Honestly if we could claim DHs tuition on taxes this year I could afford the root canal and would really prefer that over extraction since I just had several done last yr and hate to lose another tooth, I cried when I realized I had to get this one extracted and couldnt afford the root canal

Quoting bustybee:

that reallly sucks :( when my last tooth went I called the emergency (aka retired) dentist to pull it (this was after 3 days of agony and "I can get through this"s lol) and that evening for $100 I was pain free :) I used some form of orajel with a different name and it didn't work for me either. must be a pregnancy thing :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bustybee:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)