Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

going to lose it!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So sunday night i got a fairly mild tooth ache, it happens every so often, i have a horrible habit at night of clenching my teeth in my sleep so it makes me feel like i have a tooth ache the next day for a little while.. no biggy i took a little tylenol (as its one of the only things i can have since I'm pregnant) dabbed a little orajel on andwent to bed. monday wasn't any better it was much worse... well i thought my dental insurance fiscal yr restarted in feb so i figured i would just wait it out til feb 1 to go because insurance is maxed out. well it got worse, way worse i was up constantly through out the night and orajel only worked for a max of 20 minutes and tylenol didn't do a thing.. tuesday was really really bad, i was in tears a good portion of the day the pain was beyond intense so i called my ob explained the dental insurance issue and asked for meds to hold me over, so he wrote me a script for penicillin and tylenol with codeine (sp?) Took them and 2 hours later the pain hadn't lessened any, of course the entire time i was trying to think of a way to see a dentist, finally it occured to me we have a credit card specifically for dental/medical that i saved for emergencies such as this so i called and found someone willing to see me and they had an appointment open an hr from the call so i went in, turns out i have an exposed nerve. my only options are to extract or root canal and cap, which is $160 vs $2200... honestly there isn't much of a choice, we don't have the $2200 for it :( (if we could find a way to claim what we paid for dhs tuition on taxes we could afford it since we have a portion of it of but we can't) Nd i found out the fiscal year is actually may not feb
Well today i saw my doctor and filled him in on the situation let him know I'm scheduled for next week for the extraction so he offered me stronger pain meds to hold me.over til the penicillin kicked in... well I've taken 3 doses so far and it hasn't touched the pain, the numbing stuff i had hasn't worked, I'm exhausted from lack of sleep because of the pain, today i can't even bite down without getting nauseous from the amount of pain and i just want a little relief even for a little while before i go insane from pain and feeling so helpless with it!

Just a vent i guess to try to keep myself busy since i can't fall asleep :/
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:33 AM

No :( I have to be on antibiotics a few days to deal with the infection a little so that it's easier to numb me, the infection makes it harder to numb and I already have a hard time numbing on that side of my mouth to begin with... so the earliest would be *maybe* monday or tuesday but nothing was open on tuesday 

Quoting Trisha234:

That sounds miserable. Can't the dentist schedule the extraction sooner? You poor thing :-(

bluedolly01
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Not sure if its safe during pg so may need to check it out but perhaps you could try clove oil? Buy it from a pharmacy and just put some onto a qtip and dab onto the affected tooth. Will numb it almost instantly.

Good luck. Hope you feel better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:45 AM

I totally understand I have 20 teeth (4 molars) left and some of the ones that were pulled could have been salvageable if I had been able to afford a root canal.

Quoting Anonymous:

The extraction should be $140 ish unless it requires more work (like cutting it out) than it'll be $240 max. Honestly if we could claim DHs tuition on taxes this year I could afford the root canal and would really prefer that over extraction since I just had several done last yr and hate to lose another tooth, I cried when I realized I had to get this one extracted and couldnt afford the root canal

Quoting bustybee:

that reallly sucks :( when my last tooth went I called the emergency (aka retired) dentist to pull it (this was after 3 days of agony and "I can get through this"s lol) and that evening for $100 I was pain free :) I used some form of orajel with a different name and it didn't work for me either. must be a pregnancy thing :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Pregnancy always causes me dental problems but never anything that needed to be taken care of asap or caused pain, usually just stuff like cavities. or whatever :/ this is actually my furthest back tooth on the bottom...
I've tried salt water rinse, warm water rinses, tylenol, tylenol 3, vicodine, orajel, cold compress, clove oil, and this other stuff i have its like orajel but called kanka? and its like a little brush that you twist the bottom of to dispense medicine and brush it on, supposed ro numb it, worked once and than stopped :( there may be other stuff i tried that I'm forgetting...

Quoting bustybee:

I'm sorry. i have lost 4 teeth due to pregnancy (1 from the current and 3 from the last one) thankfully they were only baby molars that would have had to be removed anyways but I understand your pain. have you tried a salt water rinse?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:44 AM
1 mom liked this
I tried it :( (and 2 other numbing things among other ideas) but it hasn't done anything... I'm taking vicodin which isn't helping.any so i doubt amything will though

Quoting bluedolly01:

Not sure if its safe during pg so may need to check it out but perhaps you could try clove oil? Buy it from a pharmacy and just put some onto a qtip and dab onto the affected tooth. Will numb it almost instantly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:49 AM
It sucks how expensive dental work is, hell I'm still paying a debt from my extractions right now :(

but if i can get this pain gone i need to.... not to mention the infection isn't good for me or baby

Quoting bustybee:

I totally understand I have 20 teeth (4 molars) left and some of the ones that were pulled could have been salvageable if I had been able to afford a root canal.

Quoting Anonymous:

The extraction should be $140 ish unless it requires more work (like cutting it out) than it'll be $240 max. Honestly if we could claim DHs tuition on taxes this year I could afford the root canal and would really prefer that over extraction since I just had several done last yr and hate to lose another tooth, I cried when I realized I had to get this one extracted and couldnt afford the root canal

Quoting bustybee:

that reallly sucks :( when my last tooth went I called the emergency (aka retired) dentist to pull it (this was after 3 days of agony and "I can get through this"s lol) and that evening for $100 I was pain free :) I used some form of orajel with a different name and it didn't work for me either. must be a pregnancy thing :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Pregnancy always causes me dental problems but never anything that needed to be taken care of asap or caused pain, usually just stuff like cavities. or whatever :/ this is actually my furthest back tooth on the bottom...
I've tried salt water rinse, warm water rinses, tylenol, tylenol 3, vicodine, orajel, cold compress, clove oil, and this other stuff i have its like orajel but called kanka? and its like a little brush that you twist the bottom of to dispense medicine and brush it on, supposed ro numb it, worked once and than stopped :( there may be other stuff i tried that I'm forgetting...

Quoting bustybee:

I'm sorry. i have lost 4 teeth due to pregnancy (1 from the current and 3 from the last one) thankfully they were only baby molars that would have had to be removed anyways but I understand your pain. have you tried a salt water rinse?

BekahBrownEyes
by NoLies on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:55 AM
1 mom liked this
No. Clove oil has a warning on it now to keep it out and away from oral cavity and mucus membranes, I bought it for the same reason a few months back.

Quoting bluedolly01:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
panther79
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Rinse with some whiskey maybe? Should numb it some. Also try making some tea and sticking the teabag between your gum and cheek.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:49 AM
Hmmm i didn't notice that, will have to look into it although its a little too late now lol at least for future reference!

Quoting BekahBrownEyes:

No. Clove oil has a warning on it now to keep it out and away from oral cavity and mucus membranes, I bought it for the same reason a few months back.

Quoting bluedolly01:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:52 AM
So far nothings worked at all to help the pain any.. but we dont have any (I'm not a drinker at all plus being pregnant now of course and dh has been working too much to even think about drinking) :/ id be super iffy on doing the whiskey being pregnant and esp. high risk, i know its only rinse but a tiny bit will be absorbed and I'm super paranoid about it

Quoting panther79:

Rinse with some whiskey maybe? Should numb it some. Also try making some tea and sticking the teabag between your gum and cheek.

LHummel
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:57 AM

When i myself needed a root canal I used Hylands brand baby teething gel and tablets. They totally worked however I wasn't pregnant at the time so check on if its safe to take. Hope it gets better. Being in pain like that and pregnant stinks.

Forgot to add, have you called your dental insurer? When I was pregnant there was a condition that they would cover an extra cleaning. Don't know if there was anything about emergency care as well but the worst they can tell you is what you already are thinking. As in they wont cover it. But maybe they will. Worth asking i think . 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured