Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do your kids do chores?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
I was in a meeting today and we were discussing the poor quality staff we have been getting lately (I work with adults who have disabilities), and how the older staff is so frustrated with the younger staff. We are hiring 20 yr olds who don't know how to do laundry, or do dishes or budget or ant household tasks. How are they supposed to teach those BASIC skills to the people we work with, if they don't know them??
My dad runs a concienece store with a pizza resturant on a college campus, so he uses mostly students for staff. He said he had one woman who told him she had never in her life done the dishes and had no idea how to. And he gets people who came even do basic math to make change, and these people are in college!

It just amazes me what parents are doing to their kids. A child learns nothing if they are not taught. I don't care if your kid is the best football player or the best student or whatever. If they don't have basic skills to function away from mom and dad, they will fail.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Yes my DD is 6 and is responsible to feed her cats and her bunny (she wanted them and the deal was she would feed them) and she is responsible for her room and of course her homework.

Leobaby2007
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Not yet. We didn't have chores growing up and we learned just fine when we were 18 and in college.

Bethbeth
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:44 AM

my dd is 2. she knows how to put her toys and books away, throw things in the garbage, ect.

model1000mom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Yes they do have chores. They have had chores since they could follow simple directions. 

Mommie2Kailen
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:45 AM

my oldest son has chores and the youngest is being taught to clean up his toys which is sometimes a problem he's 2.5 and wants to do what he wants. He loves to sweep and throw stuff in the trash 

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM

ya, kids learning these skills are important so my kids do chores.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Yep! All of them, except my two year old work at home. The older ones are 4, 5, 7, and 9. They can cook, mop, take trash out, start laundry, put it away, etc etc. I'll start having my oldest balancing my checkbook pretty soon.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM

My kids don't do "chores" but I have them clean their rooms, bring the laundry to the laundry room, put their clothes away, clean off the table, clean up the front room, put their stuff and toys away,help clean up the yar, feed the pets and whatever else.  They don't get paid for doing anything. They do get a toy or something when we go to the store or whatever.

we do also give them money sometimes but it's not for "chores"

mommamaggi
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM

My 3yo cleans her room, makes her bed, helps unload the dishwasher, takes the bathroom trash out while I take the kitchen trash and helps put away the groceries. The only thing I actually make her do is clean her room, the rest I kinda have to let her do or she gets in my way trying to help lol.

CrimsonRose01
by ~Cassandra~ on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Kind of. My oldest is 2, so he doesn't really have set chores (other than having to pick up his toys and put them away when he's done playing with them) but he likes to "help" me around the house. Helps me unload the dishwasher and put away the dishes that he can reach, he helps me with laundry, helps me set the table at meal times, and helps feed the dogs.

photo po0zx0zg5c7vrr_zps9c785bd5.png
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)