Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Down the drain because my husband owes 17,000 on student loans..he got these stupid loans 5 years before we even met :(
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:46 AM

When did you find out that they took it? I have a feeling they are going to take ours....even though they were taking the payments out every monh and then just stopped for some reason....I haven't gotten any letters or anything, so I am hoping they let us have our return, and then I can get them to start deducting it again!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:48 AM
They call, look at my account & go, "Oh. You have the unemployment deferment. We do apologize." Yeah, jackass. I get it, I do. I took out the loans for my education, I need to pay them back, blah blah blah. But if I'm not working anymore, what exactly do they want me to do? lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I got a financial hardship deferment for one year and I haven't heard a peep from them. They shouldn't be calling...

Quoting Anonymous:

I lost my job last year & they won't leave me alone. I even did the damn unemployment deferment, it was approved & they STILL call. AHHH, the cost of education.

Quoting Anonymous:

They have been taking it since 2008. We have paid 15k from tax returns so far and now this one

Quoting Anonymous:

Taken from your taxes? Did they send a letter notifying you? I only ask 'cause I'm in the same boat.

eve210
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Exactly, not wasted. My SO is ALWAYS getting speeding tickets

Quoting dmarie2101:

that sucks.

i just paid 2 traffic tickets today, 760 something. *thats* wasted money. at least your husband got a career out of it, and is making money off of it. mine is just gone, bc i drive too fast.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jackieb2811
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:48 AM

This. If he had been making the initial payments they wouldn't take your entire return. I am taking a semester or two off until after I have our baby but in that time I will be paying the minimum payments. I don't want to marry SO in 2015 and them take his hard earned money because I failed to pay them!

Quoting meka26:

If you don't pay on your loan they will take your tax return. I made sure to make my payments so it wouldn't happen to me. It has happened to people I know.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:53 AM
He was barely working til we moved to a new state 2 yrs ago.

Quoting jackieb2811:

This. If he had been making the initial payments they wouldn't take your entire return. I am taking a semester or two off until after I have our baby but in that time I will be paying the minimum payments. I don't want to marry SO in 2015 and them take his hard earned money because I failed to pay them!

Quoting meka26:

If you don't pay on your loan they will take your tax return. I made sure to make my payments so it wouldn't happen to me. It has happened to people I know.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Wow!  I didn't know they can do that.  I knew that they will if you defaulted on your loan and then they can come in and garnish, but just out of the blue, just because you owe?  Thats scary, because my DH has student loan dept.  But he was laid off recently, and we are hoping to get our tax return to pay for our rent, since we don't have enough money coming in.  He has not defaulted, but I wonder if they can do that to us?  He has filed for deferment when he lost his job.  And now he has registered for classes that begin in march, which I think that puts his loan status in forbearance. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:55 AM

That was the deal when you  took out student loans, you promised to repay them like everyone else. They give you a certain period of time to pay and if you had paid on time they wouldn't be taking your entire income tax. Plus the interest is so low or was before you got behind.

You should have filed you tax separaretly too, and they wouldn't have touched yours.

We worked 2-3 jobs each to pay our college and made payments they never bothered us, but we paid mostly in cash from earnings and didn't borrow much, but when we did ,we paid on time.  Then worked our entire lives and paid every year. We have never received a tax return, we just wrote them another fat check and we pay quarterly each year too.

And paid for all our children's college educations. We had three in Universities all in the same year ( over lapped )and paid all their expenses. One year alone was 180,000 and we paid that off it took a few years.. At least we know our children have great educations and can live decent lives now. Education is the best thing you can do for yourself and your children. It was worth every single penny. We think so, anyway.

sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:01 AM

He should have paid his loans. 

I'm not judging, just stating a fact. 

It happened to me once. I was pissed though because I had just talked to the loan company a month before I filed taxes. I set up payments and they told me because I set up payments, they wouldn't take my taxes. What she didn't tell me was that I had to wait 30 days from that conversation before filing my taxes. I didn't wait 30 days because I didn't know, and they took my taxes that year. 

In the end, I just figured "oh well" because it was enough to pay off what I still owed, and then I didn't have to worry about it anymore. 

crazymom21
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:08 AM
They won't useless you default. You can call this number and find out if your refund might be offset. 800-304-3107

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow!  I didn't know they can do that.  I knew that they will if you defaulted on your loan and then they can come in and garnish, but just out of the blue, just because you owe?  Thats scary, because my DH has student loan dept.  But he was laid off recently, and we are hoping to get our tax return to pay for our rent, since we don't have enough money coming in.  He has not defaulted, but I wonder if they can do that to us?  He has filed for deferment when he lost his job.  And now he has registered for classes that begin in march, which I think that puts his loan status in forbearance. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
crazymom21
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:09 AM
You can call this number and see about possible offsets. 800-304-3107

Quoting Anonymous:

When did you find out that they took it? I have a feeling they are going to take ours....even though they were taking the payments out every monh and then just stopped for some reason....I haven't gotten any letters or anything, so I am hoping they let us have our return, and then I can get them to start deducting it again!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)