Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Down the drain because my husband owes 17,000 on student loans..he got these stupid loans 5 years before we even met :(
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Replies (31-38):
BluePandaDreams
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:11 AM
1 mom liked this
This usually happens when you default on a student loan.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:18 AM

thank you =)

Quoting crazymom21:

They won't useless you default. You can call this number and find out if your refund might be offset. 800-304-3107

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow!  I didn't know they can do that.  I knew that they will if you defaulted on your loan and then they can come in and garnish, but just out of the blue, just because you owe?  Thats scary, because my DH has student loan dept.  But he was laid off recently, and we are hoping to get our tax return to pay for our rent, since we don't have enough money coming in.  He has not defaulted, but I wonder if they can do that to us?  He has filed for deferment when he lost his job.  And now he has registered for classes that begin in march, which I think that puts his loan status in forbearance. 

crazymom21
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:22 AM
You are welcome. I like to call it every year for myself and Dh. I am weird like that :).

Quoting Anonymous:

thank you =)

Quoting crazymom21:

They won't useless you default. You can call this number and find out if your refund might be offset. 800-304-3107

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow!  I didn't know they can do that.  I knew that they will if you defaulted on your loan and then they can come in and garnish, but just out of the blue, just because you owe?  Thats scary, because my DH has student loan dept.  But he was laid off recently, and we are hoping to get our tax return to pay for our rent, since we don't have enough money coming in.  He has not defaulted, but I wonder if they can do that to us?  He has filed for deferment when he lost his job.  And now he has registered for classes that begin in march, which I think that puts his loan status in forbearance. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:49 AM

I called and all it said was that there is a loan due..and that they MIGHT take our refund.....ugh...

Quoting crazymom21:

You can call this number and see about possible offsets. 800-304-3107

Quoting Anonymous:

When did you find out that they took it? I have a feeling they are going to take ours....even though they were taking the payments out every monh and then just stopped for some reason....I haven't gotten any letters or anything, so I am hoping they let us have our return, and then I can get them to start deducting it again!

crazymom21
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry but you can count on them taking it. I'd go a head and file injured spouse for whoever doesn't have the possible offset. Or you can wait and see, then amend the return. This comes from experience. We ended up amending ours last year because we had defaulted. Luckily we got the loan rehabilitated so that wont happen again.

Quoting Anonymous:

I called and all it said was that there is a loan due..and that they MIGHT take our refund.....ugh...

Quoting crazymom21:

You can call this number and see about possible offsets. 800-304-3107

Quoting Anonymous:

When did you find out that they took it? I have a feeling they are going to take ours....even though they were taking the payments out every monh and then just stopped for some reason....I haven't gotten any letters or anything, so I am hoping they let us have our return, and then I can get them to start deducting it again!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:20 AM

meka26
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

He was barely working til we moved to a new state 2 yrs ago.

Quoting jackieb2811:

This. If he had been making the initial payments they wouldn't take your entire return. I am taking a semester or two off until after I have our baby but in that time I will be paying the minimum payments. I don't want to marry SO in 2015 and them take his hard earned money because I failed to pay them!

Quoting meka26:

If you don't pay on your loan they will take your tax return. I made sure to make my payments so it wouldn't happen to me. It has happened to people I know.

You can ask for a deferment. I had to do it when I had very little income. My payments were $40/mth. I managed to pay it. It goes into collection before they come after you, but that doesn't happen for awhile. They will make more of an effort to settle if it's in collection.

Fairywings1223
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Is he in default on his loans? If not they won't take the money.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN