Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

American Girl Dolls (your opinion)

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:35 AM
  • 65 Replies

My daughter is going to be 8 in March and wants one. I normally get her what she wants. What I would like to know is do you think they are worth the money and the hair if she brushes it  into different styles will it come out and get like all other dolls hair? Is the body soft? Thanks so much in advance....

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RLT2
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:38 AM
2 moms liked this

No clue, I think they're crazy overpriced. I got my DD6 a knock off AG doll from Target, for $24.99. It looks just like her and she thinks it's an AG, so we're both happy!

unsuspected
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this
They are expensive. But they are quality. The hai will get jacked up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:42 AM
I loved my AG doll. I had the original Pleasant Company Addy doll & my good ol' ex threw her away. Jerk. We're actually going to Chicago & getting my little one an Addy doll in a month or so.
Ninjascreenname
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:43 AM
I thought they were great dolls back in the 90's. if their hair gets wonky, add a little bit of liquid fabric softener to water in a spritz bottle and it will smooth it out. :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
superm0m877
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:44 AM

When I was a kid, I had every single one of them. Yes, the hair will get messed up just like any other doll. In my opinion, they aren't worth that much money. I didnt even play with them that much, probably because they were so expensive and my mom made sure I knew that, so I was afraid to play with them and ruin them lol 

WheelerWife
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:45 AM

I had one when I was a kid. They were as expensive then as they are now, but I really loved that doll.

I wasn't much of a hair stylist, but it was brushable and her body was soft. All that said I'm 34 now, so I had one a longtime ago. :0)

I would love to get my daughter one when she gets older, but I might get her a knock off one. They can still wear the clothes, but the price is lower. 

Angelbaby6663
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:46 AM

I am 21 now and got my first one when I was 5, I have gotten 4 more since then and they are all still in good condition. I used to play with them everyday and they are still holding up, I can wait to share them with my daughter one day. Even if something does happen to the hair, you can send them into the company and they will fix it for you. In my opinion they are an AMAZING toy for a little girl to have and keep forever.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:52 AM

They are super expensive. Depending on the doll and each doll has different outfits. Especially the "Culture" Ones. We have a American Doll Store in Los angeles and it is HUGE, Crowded and it also has a Tea Room for parties. The have way too many dolls to choose from, a ton of freaking Accessories from Horses to Baby indian wraps that go over the Native Indian doll to Smaller American Doll DOLLS. its ridiculous the amount of stuff they sell. They are high quality dolls, they lost a long time, not they are not soft like a stuffed animal

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Too expensive in  my opinion.  They are really cute though.  My 6 yer old  niece has a few and tons of clothes and accessories and she really likes them.  My girls have the Madame Alexander version that we got at Costco a couple of years ago.  Their MA dolls have held up really well, but they don't play with them tons.

ElizabethGracie
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I had them when I was a kid and we still have them boxed up somewhere...they held up really well. I loved them.

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN