Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Those with thyroid problems, or know about them, or anyone who knows about anatomy. EDIT w/ MY pics

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies

They said last time they checked, it was 6.30, and they checked about 6 months ago. I told them I have been having symptoms, especially hair loss, and I have a nodule on my neck. The Doctor told me that wasn't where my thyroid gland was. He said it was lower, but I have looked at pictures, and the gland goes up to the center of the neck, and it's where/under where a typical adams apple is. The nodule is right at where the top of the gland would be, but he told me it's not on my thyroid. I told him my hair was coming out a lot again, and he said it had to be from something else because SIX months ago my tests were normal...Umm..Also my throat has swollen up a few times and felt uncomfortable and made me feel like it was closing and pushed, now that this lump has appeared on my neck. I am pretty sure it's thyroid related. I don't know why he dismissed EVERYTHING I said. I also asked about a medicine switch to the porcine thyroid meds, and immediate dismissal of that as well. I thought it was a serious matter if a lump forms, but I guess it's just whatever to them. I literally walked out of there with nothing. I am kind of frustrated. Advice? Opinions on everything? Also I could add a picture of my neck if anyone wants to see where the lump is. 

EDIT: Here is where it is on my neck. Red is the lump. Yellow feels like it is pushed out .

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Oh, and I am hypo if anyone is wondering.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like you have a goiter. That number is high, you have hypothyroidism.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I also want to add, that number was while taking .150mg Levothyroixine, and they said everything was good. I have not felt completely fine this whole 6 months, and now globs of hair coming out again...

Quoting wkukid:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Bump

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:15 AM

You aren't under control. You need to get a second opinion. Any side effects you have while not under control nearly vanish when under control. My only side effect that remained was being randomly cold. The goiter is a sign you aren't controlled. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I also want to add, that number was while taking .150mg Levothyroixine, and they said everything was good. I have not felt completely fine this whole 6 months, and now globs of hair coming out again...

Quoting wkukid:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:17 AM

That is a high number

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:19 AM

How to Interpret Your Thyroid Test Results

If you want to have a better idea of what your thyroid tests mean, here is some information that can help.

Difficulty Level: Easy      Time Required: 5 minutes

Here's How:
  1. Find out your thyroid test results from your doctor's office.
  2. If you can, get a hard copy printout for your own review and home medical files.
  3. If "normal" or "reference" ranges are not indicated on the lab results, ask your doctor's office to tell you what these ranges are.
  4. Note the level of your Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH). At most labs in the U.S., up until late 2002, the normal range is from around 0.5 to 5.5. That range changed to .3 to 3 as of early 2003.
  5. If the TSH level is below normal, your doctor may determine that you are hyperthyroid (overactive thyroid.)
  6. If the TSH level is above normal, your doctor may determine that you are hypothyroid (underactive thyroid.)
  7. If your doctor ran a test called Total T4 or Total Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 4.5 to 12.5. If you had a low reading, and a high TSH, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism.
  8. If your doctor ran a test called Total T4 or Total Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 4.5 to 12.5. If you had a low reading, and a low TSH, your doctor might look into a pituitary problem.
  9. If your doctor ran a test called Free T4, or Free Thyroxine, normal range is approximately 0.7 to 2.0. If your result was less than 0.7, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism.
  10. If your doctor ran a test called Total T3, normal range is approximately 80 to 220. If your result was less than 80, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism.
  11. If your doctor ran a test called Free T3, normal range is approximately 2.3 to 4.2. If your result was less than 2.3, your doctor might consider that indicative of hypothyroidism.
  12. If your test results come back "normal" but you have many of the symptoms or risk factors for thyroid disease, make sure you ask for an antibodies test. Some doctors believe in treating thyroid symptoms in the presence of elevated antibodies and normal TSH levels.
  13. If your test results come back "normal" but you have many of the symptoms or risk factors for thyroid disease, consider going to a reputable holistic M.D. or alternative physician for further interpretation and diagnosis. 
Tips:
  1. Laboratory reference ranges and normal ranges can differ from lab to lab. Always go by your lab's reference range and your doctor's diagnosis. 
LeahJ
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:20 AM
If you've had a change in symptoms, at the very least he needs to just run the tsh test. It's a blood draw, no biggie, right? How long have you been on the 150 and has it been stable for a long time? I'm on 112 and have been for years. I only do a draw every year because I don't have symptoms and the one time i didn't feel well, my doc immediately ordered a test. He said there is no point at all in messing with it.

Btw, i think 6.3 is a bit high, BUT every lab has their own scale, so that may just be the high range of normal for your lab. My doc tries to keep me pretty dead center at about a 3 (between .5 and 5.5 at our lab)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting wkukid:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsThebus
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:21 AM
I also have a lump on my neck and my doctor doesn't think it's anything because its higher up. If you wouldn't mind posting a pic, I wonder if mine is in a similar location. I've searched and searched for the possibilities but I'm not sure what it is.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN