Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I had an abortion. And I have never stopped grieving UPDATE #3

Posted by   + Show Post

My story:

I had an abortion right when I turned 18. (2005) I feel that the choice I made was absolutly the wrong one

The child was planned, but after I had concieved my then bf ( we had married but it was just a religous ceremony) decided that he did not want the baby. His family was totally against me having the child. I caved under the presure and had an abortion. I felt betrayed by the people who were suppose to love and protect us. I also felt like I had betrayed who I was, as a woman and a mother to have killed my child. 

I have felt so bad about it so many years later. And I ALSO feel guilty for grieving. Thought the years I have struggled. Sometimes are better than others.

When I was at the clinic everyone sold the idea to me like it was a reset button. That having a baby is a lifelong choice, and that having an abortion is not. They didnt tell me that I would grieve for the rest of my life though. I really feel that there was a miscarry of justice. That clinics are not being totally honest. That the only negative side effect from an abortion is not just the possiblity of an infection. 

I tried to feel really empowered by my choice. Look how free I was after all!! But it didnt work. 

Truth be told. My choice did not sink in until my sister gave birth to her child. Then it hit me " I had been pregnant with a baby! I should have a 7 month old right now!!

Purpose of this post: To connect with others who have had had this experience? Got an abortion that they later regreted? Has anyone felt guilty for grieving? What have you found helps bring comfort, clousure, or honors the memory of your child? This post is also a causionary tale. So feel free to share it with anyone who is thinking about an abortion

*PS this post is not about weather or not abortion should be legal, or if its wrong etc etc etc. ALL of that is for a DIFFERENT post (that you gotta make yourself)*

*PPS I am NOT looking for any sort of sympathy! I am trying to connect to other mothers who have been in the same or simular circumstances*

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
SadeAyosmom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:39 AM

I am honestly wondering... will i stop counting the weeks.. it's sick of me to do this.. but i am. i am counting how many weeks i 'would' be.

maryjmom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:39 AM
Bit harsh there Anon, don't ya think?

OP, I'm pro-life, but I wont shove that down your throat. You made a choice that you now realize wasn't for you. It was for others. Now, you know abortion isn't for you. Take care in knowing that that baby will always be in your heart.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yup. abortion is a death penalty for you and the baby. maybe next time you will think twice before opening your legs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EachNewBreath
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Me either! We were in love and had been recently married (just a ceremony not registared with the state) We had wanted the baby soo bad. When I had concieved though my bf/husband thing told his parents. They said that we were to wait. That we could have a "real" baby later and that this baby was a mistake. That this baby was just going to bring our lives down. 

I felt so hurt, confused and betrayed. But I tried to get on board with it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

just saying. I'm not sure how an abortion could ever be empowering when the pregnancy was originally planned

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:41 AM
7 moms liked this
harsh? no. harsh is planning a pregnancy. succeeding. and then sentencing the baby to death becuz the boy changed his mind. I'm pro choice. but in certain circumstances only. And this isn't one of them.

Quoting maryjmom:

Bit harsh there Anon, don't ya think?

OP, I'm pro-life, but I wont shove that down your throat. You made a choice that you now realize wasn't for you. It was for others. Now, you know abortion isn't for you. Take care in knowing that that baby will always be in your heart.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yup. abortion is a death penalty for you and the baby. maybe next time you will think twice before opening your legs

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:42 AM
1 mom liked this
If you ask God to forgive you he will, now you have to forgive yourself. That doesn't mean you won't forget because you never will, but can go on with your life and hopefully never get anther abortion learning from this very hard lesson.
EachNewBreath
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:43 AM

Our relationship did not last. 2 years later I left him. I could never get over the fact that we had aborted the baby. ESP since his mother had spear headed the whole thing. As a woman and a fellow mother why did she say so much nonsense!

Why didnt he protect us? Why didnt I protect us?

I would NEVER let that happen to me again. So I guess I learned a vaulable lesson. But to me the cost was too high. 

Quoting mommamaggi:

I felt guilty for a while, but the guilt subsided. My circumstances were much different though; I was raped, you were in love. I was depressed, you were happy. I didn't want the baby, you did. It was my choice, you were pushed.

I am so so sorry that you were guilted and pushed into giving up your baby; no one has the right to tell a woman when to or not to have a baby and it makes me so angry that you were pressured into doing something you didn't want to do. 

*hug* Time will help you heal, just please, don't ever let anyone pressure you into doing anything you don't want to do ever again. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:44 AM
Well, I almost got an abortion 3 yrs ago and I'm glad I didn't. I'm sorry you feel that way. You were young and had no support. Don't be too hard on yourself.
EachNewBreath
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:44 AM

I have been to counseling for it off and on. And it seemed to help

Quoting AnastasiaKorsh:

I have had an abortion, I don't regret the choice at all. I rarely ever think back on it.

I do have a friend, who like you, was pressured to get an abortion but by her husband. She was a wreck after it for a while. But when she had her daughter, she seems to have gotten better.

If you feel so badly about getting an abortion, have you looked into counseling?

4kids4tara
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I just wanted to say I am very sorry. I volunteer at a Womens Center and what you are feeling is very normal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:46 AM
2 moms liked this
sorry. no sympathy fir you. I'm pro choice for certain situations. but believe mostly in giving birth. but this ifs definitely not a circumference i am forgiving in. adoption would have been better. abortion in my opinion ifs for rape incest or to save a mothers life. not a girl who is playing house. its not an escape for irresponisible women. we didnt kill u fir conceiving. why kill the baby for doing exactky wha u wanted it to do.

Quoting EachNewBreath:

Me either! We were in love and had been recently married (just a ceremony not registared with the state) We had wanted the baby soo bad. When I had concieved though my bf/husband thing told his parents. They said that we were to wait. That we could have a "real" baby later and that this baby was a mistake. That this baby was just going to bring our lives down. 

I felt so hurt, confused and betrayed. But I tried to get on board with it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

just saying. I'm not sure how an abortion could ever be empowering when the pregnancy was originally planned

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN