Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Storm sirens

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies
How often do the storm sirens go off where you live?

In my town they go off for EVERYTHING. Every thunderstorm warning, they go off. It's not uncommon.for them to go off four or five times a night during a storm. So, people being to ignore them. I know do.
The other night we were supposed to get bad storms. The sirens went off twice. I woke up both times and checked it out, and it was for thunderstorm warnings. Third time it went off I just rolled over and went back to sleep. Guess what? There was a tornado less than 5 miles away.
I think its dangerous and stupid to sound the alarms all the time. They don't alert people anymore. One of these days people are going to hurt in a storm because they ignored the siren because its already went off three or four times over nothing.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Weird where do you live? I live in VA. I've never heard them. We get a TV or Radio broadcast for a warning but nothing else. Then again we dont really get tornadoes here .

BelleVernonGirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:07 AM
2 moms liked this

We don't have storm sirens here...We are pretty much in the mountains so no need...

AA2.0
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Almost never. Only for tornados, which are relatively rare here. (Knock on wood!)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Indiana

Quoting Anonymous:

Weird where do you live? I live in VA. I've never heard them. We get a TV or Radio broadcast for a warning but nothing else. Then again we dont really get tornadoes here .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:08 AM
That's the way it should be!

Quoting AA2.0:

Almost never. Only for tornados, which are relatively rare here. (Knock on wood!)

Chaoswithin
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:08 AM
Never here and this reminds me of the little boy that cried wolf. I've heard this by many people , and always wonder why officials sound them for every storm . It should only be for severe weather leading to tornados. Obviously you got immune to it how scary it was 5 miles away you got lucky girl! :)
AA2.0
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:10 AM
I completely agree. I'm wondering why nothing has changed in this regard? Have not enough people complained? Or do the people in charge just not give a damn? Either way, it's pretty shitty.

Quoting Chaoswithin:

Never here and this reminds me of the little boy that cried wolf. I've heard this by many people , and always wonder why officials sound them for every storm . It should only be for severe weather leading to tornados. Obviously you got immune to it how scary it was 5 miles away you got lucky girl! :)
Chaoswithin
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:15 AM
Right it just seems such a basic concept that people who repeatedly hear a siren regularly would ignore the one that would in fact potentially save their life. Official people should realize that. The op goT lucky .

Quoting AA2.0:

I completely agree. I'm wondering why nothing has changed in this regard? Have not enough people complained? Or do the people in charge just not give a damn? Either way, it's pretty shitty.

Quoting Chaoswithin:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:21 AM
I live on base and this particular base comes over and beeps it a couple times then announces severe weather, large hail, heavy winds the things that hinder operations. But so far since we got here we haven't heard tornado sirens. Our last base had tornados every year, the city would sound there alarms really early we could always hear it from base, then the base would sound theres when it was close, we knew once the base sounded theirs to get into the tornado shelter immediately
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN