• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dry Socket? Edit and Update

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:05 AM
  • 12 Replies

I just had three teeth pulled.  My wisdom teeth had shot up and became impacted which in turn crushed three of the four molars directly in the path of those damn things.  So anyways its been about four days and my gums are still swollen and it hurts.  Not nearly as bad as it did prior, god i thought I was dying, but from what my mom said it shouldnt be hurting at all?  Anyone have any idea?

i did have a funny smell the first 24 hours after they where pulled but I figured that was just the infection as the dentist didnt let me finish the full course of antibiotics. I just wanted to hear from you guys when if I should at all call the dentist?

Ugh well the pain is no where near what it was when the bad teeth were in there.  I can take two ibuprofen 800s (Opted for those instead of narcotics Im breastfeeding) and other than a little "surface" pain it doesnt throb or anything like that.  SO called the dentist for me while i was getting DS up for school and the dentist said that as long as the pain doesnt get past the point it was before I had them pulled that it would be okay.

I forgot to add in there that one of the molars that were pulled had intertwined roots with the impacted wisdom, it took the dentist and the nurse jerking my head like madmen to get the damn thing out.  

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
monkeybelle83
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:06 AM

If you're in pain I would call the dentist and have them checked out. Dry socket SUCKS.

PerfectVirgo
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:09 AM
I don't know, but I was sore for a long time, and to me, 24 hours is a long time.... Idk. I'd call them and ask if its normal. It might be, if you had extensive work done.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angel_peanut
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:09 AM

i had a tooth pulled not ot long ago. my gums where swollen a little bit and a little sore for about a week....not to the point i needed to take a pain reliever though. if there really hurting i would call the dentist.... i have heard dry socket can cause excruciating pain if not taken care of right away...better safe than sorrt! good luck

CookieMom108
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:14 AM

OMG dry socket is extremely painful!  If the pain meds don't even help, there's a good chance it is dry socket.  After having a tooth extracted once, I got that funny smell and taste.  It turned out to be a piece of gauze that was left in there.  You need to have that checked, it could become infected.

ForeverInLove
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Dry socket will be a bit pinpoint where the teeth were. You'll also be able to see it in the mirror.

Now, regardless of dry socket or not, get some Clove Oil and put a drop on the affected area. Try not to touch your tongue to it, unless you enjoy those red hot hearts. Clove oil is a natural antiseptic, and it also numbs. 

Call the dentist or surgeon who took out the teeth, and talk to them about what to do. They may suggest having packing done, which is little strips that are pushed into the opening (the first time hurts a bunch) that are soaked in a clove oil solution. this does delay healing.

fusonjen
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Quoting CookieMom108:

OMG dry socket is extremely painful!  If the pain meds don't even help, there's a good chance it is dry socket.  After having a tooth extracted once, I got that funny smell and taste.  It turned out to be a piece of gauze that was left in there.  You need to have that checked, it could become infected.

Well they sent me home with this medicated oral rinse, I have two sutures and the dentist said the smell could be from two things one being that I did have an infection prior to the extraction and we couldn't wait anymore to have them pulled, the second being the blood and what not have you ever heard of that?  I am on a antibiotic still (clindamyacin) and will be for the next 14 days.

CookieMom108
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Quoting fusonjen:

Quoting CookieMom108:

Well they sent me home with this medicated oral rinse, I have two sutures and the dentist said the smell could be from two things one being that I did have an infection prior to the extraction and we couldn't wait anymore to have them pulled, the second being the blood and what not have you ever heard of that?  I am on a antibiotic still (clindamyacin) and will be for the next 14 days.

Hhhhmmm, I would think if the weird smell was blood, it would be a metallic type tase going along with it.  Do you have a weird taste?  I've had a few infested teeth and plenty of teeth pulled.  The only time I got that smell/taste was when the gauze was left in there.  Sorry I can't be more help, just telling you my experience.  When do you you go back for a re check?  If you're in a lot of pain, go sooner.  

CookieMom108
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Ugh stupid touch screen!  That should've read taste, not tase.  Infected, not infested.  Lol., infested.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:33 AM

You'll hurt for a while. A couple days doesn't begin to take the pain away. You might want to consider going to the chiropractor as well, to have your neck & jaw put back in place, if they jerked you around that bad. Half my pain after having teeth pulled was from everything being jerked out of whack.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:33 AM

if you had a dry socket you would know it, it is excruciatingly painful - I went through that once and wanted to throw myself in front of a car, it is BAD

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)