Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Easier to be a SAHM...? *ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 216 Replies
12 moms liked this

Was it easier to be a SAHM "back in the day"?

It occured to me that times have changed dramatically in the past 50-60 years. And there is still a notion of how SAHM are "lazy", or have it "easy". I think that may stem from outdated perceptions.

See way back when families were close knit, a support system, there to help with the kids/baby. Grandma would be very involved, aunts would be very involved, if mom needed help family and extended family would have her back in a jiffy! Not like today where there are many broken families or families that are not close, etc.

These days, you have people like myself, who get no help, no family support, no OPTION of having someone watch the kids for 5 minutes, which makes my job that much harder.

I just can't understand the notion of "Oh you SAHM, stop your whining, you have it easy, women have been doing your same job for thousands of years", while that statement has truth to it, we should also note that throughout history moms have always needed HELP at one point or another, by family, or in tribes where mothers help out other mothers and it is a GROUP EFFORT.

Me, I'm all alone, my DH is gone either at work or asleep 20hrs out of a 24hr day. I do not have family to help, and no women that would help without me spending a pretty penny lol.... I love being a SAHM, its hard and stressful, but that one comment just got me thinking.

ETA:  This post has NOTHING to do with WORKING MOMS(not meaning that in a negative way lol).

It's not about WM Vs. SAHM, its about today's SAHM Vs the SAHM of long ago throughout history.

I love hearing what you all have been saying, and whether a WAHM or a SAHM having it "easy" is all circumstancial so there is no grouping any one party together.

BACK TO THE POINT: Some of you pointed out modern covienances, and while I agree that it makes physical labor easier - example: Vacuum, dishwasher, washing machines/dryers, being able to drive, t.v, etc----- I still think that as mothers MOST of our strife whether working or staying home is a MENTAL GAME, and for the SAHM of today you can go batsh!t crazy having no help(even for 5 minutes while you want to pee!), you cannot rely on family, and the fact that very few moms stay home make it hard to band together and offer some support and adult conversation! Its HARD.

The physicalities of my job aren't that bad, but I would rather my body be drained than my SOUL! lol

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:10 AM
11 moms liked this
I don't think every situation is the same. There are some amazing SAHMs and Working moms. Just like there are lazy SAHMs and Lazy working moms.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Candi1024
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:10 AM
5 moms liked this

Lol, back in the day there were no microwaves, most women didn't drive and certainly didn't have cars, laundry was much more manual, no dishwashers,  no freezer meals, and very little convenience food.

It is MUCH easier to be a SAHM now, IMO.

And yes, being a SAHM these past few months is much much easier than when I worked.

WandaSue
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I love being a SAHM...wish i could be a WHAM...i can't wait until my lil one goes to school though...

Sucks to not have any help OP :hugs:

lovemysnugbugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I actually think it was harder back in the day. They didn't have the modern conveniences that we do now.

I find being a SAHM pretty easy. I have my stressful days, everyone does, but overall I think it's easier than working. For me anyway. Everyone's different.

lowencope
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Why oh why do I keep opening these??? Lol. Laziness is a personality trait and each situation is unique but seriously like PP said moms didn't have microwaves washers and dryers back then. I would say things are easier on us these days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meangreen18
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:16 AM
3 moms liked this
I have no help either, for the past 5 years lol my DH works two jobs 6-7 days a week so I don't expect him to help with too much when he's off. I've gotten used to it. I would enjoy a nice trip to the bathroom by myself every once and a while though. lol
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:16 AM
3 moms liked this

It's not a easy job in general.

MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:16 AM
8 moms liked this
I think it may have been easier back in the day because all the other women in the neighborhood were home, too. A larger social support system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brebugmom91
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:19 AM
I agree. Having to do everything by hand would suck.

Quoting Candi1024:

Lol, back in the day there were no microwaves, most women didn't drive and certainly didn't have cars, laundry was much more manual, no dishwashers,  no freezer meals, and very little convenience food.

It is MUCH easier to be a SAHM now, IMO.

And yes, being a SAHM these past few months is much much easier than when I worked.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Lol. I know how you feel I havent used the restroom alone in almost 2 years.

Quoting meangreen18:

I have no help either, for the past 5 years lol my DH works two jobs 6-7 days a week so I don't expect him to help with too much when he's off. I've gotten used to it. I would enjoy a nice trip to the bathroom by myself every once and a while though. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)