Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think I am the one who killed my daughter's fish :(

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:42 AM
  • 18 Replies

It was her xmas present, a betta fish. I am the one that takes care of his water usually. I changed his water today. and about ten minutes after I put him back in noticed he wasn't moving much. He likes to hide so I actually had to net him out of the plant. OH I feel so bad. we have to drive an hour to go get another one. and am definitely making DH buy a heater this time. I kept my betta alive for four years, this one only lasted a month. and it was a gorgeous good temperamented fish. loved to hide and play with his food. and follow our fingers. poor Flame Frae.  

Kasi Lynn, Calvin David, & Lilith Jade's Mommy
The Work will wait while you show the child the RAINBOW, but the rainbow won't wait while you do your work.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamairanda
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:44 AM
I'm sorry..... that sucks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:44 AM
murderer!
jbirdsladie27
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
:(

R.I.P. Mr. Beta Fish
WandaSue
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:46 AM
2 moms liked this

fish are friends...not food! hugs mama and RIP Flame Frae

SunshineBird
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:47 AM

The heater isn't necessary. Did you float him in a bag until the water temps evened out? Even if you didn't, Betta fish are pretty hardy...I would guess something else was going on with him unless the water temp difference was huge. 

ThatsTheWayItIs
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 AM
I know how you feel. We ended up going through 3 Dalmatian fish because the store ended up getting a bad batch. The day we went to get another kind of fish they had 16 died that morning. I'm staying away from those kinda for a while.
seegrace
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 AM

AWWW :(  sorry to hear.  We had an extremely tempermental betta named Bob.  (RIP BOB!)  Bob lived an incredibly comfortable and spoiled life with us for 3 years.  We loved his moody little fish butt..

When he started getting sick (then he'd get better, then sick, then better UGH) we went to a lot of fish stores trying to save him.  We were told by everyone how difficult bettas can be to keep. 

RIP FLAME FRAE! 

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:50 AM
My aunt killed the goldfish I had for 5 years because she didn't rinse the tank out good enough when she cleaned it :/
1lv2stks3nlz4ev
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I killed 3 on my son.... by accident. One was the water was still too warm, then too much of the declorinator and the third time was stress from when we moved. Thank goodness he was a good and easily replaceable color.

weaveress
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I let both of the fish in a little container and the water settle. usually for 30 or so minutes, but I didn't pay attention today because I was cleaning the bathroom and kitchen too. and I either put him in too soon, the water was the wrong temp, or accidently contaminated the water. 

idk. but I feel horrible. he was a wonderful fish. even more active then the one I had years ago. dd is going to be so upset when she gets home. 

Quoting SunshineBird:

The heater isn't necessary. Did you float him in a bag until the water temps evened out? Even if you didn't, Betta fish are pretty hardy...I would guess something else was going on with him unless the water temp difference was huge. 

Kasi Lynn, Calvin David, & Lilith Jade's Mommy
The Work will wait while you show the child the RAINBOW, but the rainbow won't wait while you do your work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)