• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I dont want to pass judgement but it seems really weird.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

My sister in laws brother took his own life a few months ago. Its obviously been tough for her, they were not even 10 months apart.  Today is his birthday so we have all been leaving him Happy Birthday messages on his facebook. Their Mom just randomly put as her status to her new step daughter and not her son. It says "Happy Birthday to my amazing step daughter, I love you"   Her actions from the get go have been really odd to me. She even got married the day after his funeral, which was a set day but Im just not sure I could go with it after enduring such heart break. I dont know. I hope I never know what its like but she seems so distant from the rest of the family.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Different people handle grief differently.

I find it poor taste to keep a FB page up as some bizarre electronic memorial - especially after a suicide.  In many religions and cultures a suicide is considered a mortal sin, so it's not that he just "died", but he died at his own hand that may be causing her to ignore the situation.

LiesLiesLies
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM
People grieve in their own ways....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LiesLiesLies
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:15 AM
You can't be serious?

Quoting mom_of_one_2010:

Sounds like they had something to do with his death

trailerrrtrash
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:17 AM

People deal with grief in different ways. Maybe with the loss of her son, she's trying to attach to her stepdaughter and new husband to keep herself going. She could've felt like if she focused only on her son's death and postponed her wedding and all, she would lose it. Not conciously, but you know...there's probably some level of it feeling surreal. kwim?

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Grief is very personal, there is no reason to ever judge how a person deals with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Ugh no... His Mom lived 12 hours away, his friends found him in the closet hanging himself. I will NEVER forget that day in my whole entire life. My SIL had to be the one to identify him because they had no other family. I was there with her. No one did it, he did it himself, probably due to the drugs he was on.

Quoting mom_of_one_2010:

Sounds like they had something to do with his death

hehehe
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Is it the stepdaughter's birthday as well? Some people aren't comfortable posting on someone's fb who is dead. What seems odd to you probably seems comfortable to her and vice versa. 

Tree-Tree
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Everybody greives differently

tinkerbelle18
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Everyone grieves and processes death differently so its hard to say what is normal and what is weird. For some people it is easier to go on with life as if their loved one never died. Somepeople go through a state of denial.Maybe its hard for her to acknowledge and being around other family member is too painful for her.

mrssummerlin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:19 AM
She's not you or your SIL and obviously handles things differently. Nothing wrong with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)