Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you have handled this?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:16 AM
  • 12 Replies

I was at the grocery store yesterday and when I was checking out I told my son (4) that he could go over and choose a piece of candy from the shelf just in front of us. The machines that sell lottery ticket are over there and there was a woman buying some tickets but I didn't think much of it. Next thing I know this woman is screaming at the top of her lungs at my son and I really thought she was going to flip out and start spanking him so I go running over there to see what the matter is, and from I gathered between cuss words and name calling, my son had pushed a button on the machine and bought a ticket she didn't want with her money. She was shouting and cussing, calling him every horrible name in the book. I was shocked and just froze. I picked my son up because I was worried she would try and spank him and she started screaming about how I was coddling him. I didn't know what to say and I didn't even get a chance to offer to pay for the ticket because she stomped out of the store. What would you have done in this situation? My son wasn't trying to be naughty, he probably just saw her pushing buttons on the machine and the tickets coming out and wanted to try it. I have never bought a lottery ticket so he has no idea how the machine works. I can only assume that's what happened.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paigesmommy5264
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM
2 moms liked this
I probably would have flipped shit on the lady for yelling at my child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CorpCityGrl
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:20 AM

That is an extreme reaction!  Holy!

If given the chance, I would've apologized and offered to pay for the ticket.  Seeing that she stomped away and was cursing up a storm at a 4 year old, you're probably better off though.

banana-bear
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
It was just an accident. I would have paid for the ticket and chewed off her head for yelling at my kid inappropriately. Fucking bitch.
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this
She'd be on her ass so fast her head would spin
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicole1357
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Yeah I would have tried to offer to pay for the ticket, but ya know some people don't have any patience. lol She probably won money from that ticket..now that would be hilarious! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:22 AM
I would have been pissed that someone was yelling at my kid. He probably tought it was a game or something. Now watch the ticket, that your son picked, win that crazy bitch a bunch of money :/
meangreen18
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I probably would flipped out on her for yelling at my kid, no one does that but me :) then I probably would have apologized for him and give her money for the ticket.
MeAndTommyLee
by Angie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Extreme overreaction.  As you did not have the opportunity to pay for her ticket, what else could you have done?  No, he should not have touched the machine, but he's four years old and curious.  Now as for her.  She sounds crazy to begin with.  Who acts in the manner you  described in public?  All you can do now is talk to your son and let him know that most people are not like her, that he made a mistake and she should not have screamed at him the way she did. 

DzineMama
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:31 AM

That lady is a monster and a freaking animal. I probably would of froze in shock. Then once I got a grip, pointed out her lack of class and she was abusing my child, even if it was only verbal, her stupid lotto ticket doesn't justify this behavior. She can go f her self. Then I would attend to my son, explaining how strangers can be dangerous, there are some crazy ppl in the world as you can see and you have to be careful. That you shouldn't approach strangers or touch what's not yours. And let him know that that lady's response was not normal and even though he had made a mistake, she doesn't have the right to speak/treat him like that.

thePBandJmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:03 PM

That's exactly what I did, just froze. My son keeps asking me what why she was mad so I keep wondering what I should have done instead. Granted he shouldn't have touched the machine, but it isn't like he did it with an intention to be naughty.

Quoting DzineMama:

That lady is a monster and a freaking animal. I probably would of froze in shock. Then once I got a grip, pointed out her lack of class and she was abusing my child, even if it was only verbal, her stupid lotto ticket doesn't justify this behavior. She can go f her self. Then I would attend to my son, explaining how strangers can be dangerous, there are some crazy ppl in the world as you can see and you have to be careful. That you shouldn't approach strangers or touch what's not yours. And let him know that that lady's response was not normal and even though he had made a mistake, she doesn't have the right to speak/treat him like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)