Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Excuse me, you're making me feel uncomfortable"

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:19 AM
  • 299 Replies

Poll

Question: Would it bother you if health care professionals spoke a different language around you?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 787

View Results

The hospital I'm delivering at is bilingual, but primarily French I'm assuming since that's how they greet you until you tell them you're English.

I don't have a problem with this, it's a wonderful hospital and the nurses are lovely. The times I've been in though, (the last time being yesterday to check for possible membranes rupture) the nurses will speak English to me but speak only in French to each other in the room. It makes me feel a little left out / out of the loop / disconcerted. I don't know, it just makes me uncomfortable. 

Would this bother you at all or is it nothing to be upset about?

Eta: I'm pretty flattered that this is featured lol. That makes it my first.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Wouldn't bother me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM
34 moms liked this

Heck I'm uncomfortable when the person doing my nails is speaking in a different language to their co-workers.  I don't know, just get a feeling maybe they are saying something rude.  I would be very uncomfortable in labor.

method209
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:35 AM
4 moms liked this

I would just ask them to speak English around you.  Tell them it makes you worry that something is wrong with you or baby and they don't want you to hear.  Where in Canada are you from?

LovelyMommy24
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I would feel out of the loop too but then again if it's french I might know what they're saying. Spanish on the other hand, yes I would definitely feel in the least like I really wanted to know what they were saying - especially since it's essentially about me. 

MommaTasha1003
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:35 AM
6 moms liked this

Well I voted Yes, then read....

If I go to a hospital in my area, I expect them to speak english... But if I go into a hospital & know they all speak another language, then that is what I would expect them to speak-whatever the local language is..

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I had that happen to me but with Spanish. I thought it was very rude. It was at the hospital during a shift change and she was updating the other about my case. So they were in fact talking about me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
firemouse23
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:36 AM
4 moms liked this

I suppose it would bother me to a degree.  They probably revert to french because it is their first language and easier to communicate to each other what is going on.  I'm sure they mean no disrespect by it.  Just know that they are trying to give you the best care possible and doing it in their native language is the best way to not miscommunicate with each other.

EmmaGlenn20
by Canadian Sweetheart on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

It just seems to me like you would know that it's not really polite...but I don't know if I'm being overly sensitive or not. I'm 36 weeks, so close to being done and so I wanted to hear from other moms on here. If the general consensus is that it's rude, I may tell them it's making me uncomfortable.

Quoting Anonymous:

Heck I'm uncomfortable when the person doing my nails is speaking in a different language to their co-workers.  I don't know, just get a feeling maybe they are saying something rude.  I would be very uncomfortable in labor.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Im Canadian, so probably not.  Where are you?

Maybe a different language than French would bother me though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

quite frankly, I will not see a doctor again even if they only speak English if their accent is so thick that I have a difficult time deciphering it.  I want to be able to communicate effectively with someone providing my medical care, and I lived through that mistake when I chose my last ob/gyne. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured