Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Excuse me, you're making me feel uncomfortable"

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would it bother you if health care professionals spoke a different language around you?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 787

View Results

The hospital I'm delivering at is bilingual, but primarily French I'm assuming since that's how they greet you until you tell them you're English.

I don't have a problem with this, it's a wonderful hospital and the nurses are lovely. The times I've been in though, (the last time being yesterday to check for possible membranes rupture) the nurses will speak English to me but speak only in French to each other in the room. It makes me feel a little left out / out of the loop / disconcerted. I don't know, it just makes me uncomfortable. 

Would this bother you at all or is it nothing to be upset about?

Eta: I'm pretty flattered that this is featured lol. That makes it my first.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Replies (41-50):
PerfectVirgo
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM
2 moms liked this

Sometimes it's just easier and quicker to communicate in your native language. I do it all the time. And i don't feel left out when people speak a language I don't know. If they're talking about me negatively, I don't want to hear it anyway. I only like the positive in life. =)

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as they understand ME, when I need to convey something to them, they could speak some Alien language for all I care.

EmmaGlenn20
by Canadian Sweetheart on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM

And no that was not me lol. This is the only hospital I can deliver at because it's closest to my house (20 mins away) and my gyno only delivers there.

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Are you the OP? The Op stated that the language in the hospital is primarliy French and that is how she is greeted until she explains that she speaks only English.They are accomadating her by speaking to her and addressing her in her native language- a language not spoken by the hospital. If the Op is uncomfortable at this hospital then I highly recommend she find another hospital which speaks primarlily English and not primarliy French. Otherwise, as I have suggested, she can politley ask for the staff to explain whatever she has missed.

By , About.com Guide

Definition: English and French are the official languages of all federal government institutions in Canada. This means that the public has the right to communicate with, and receive services from, federal government institutions in either English or French and that federal government employees have the right to work in the official language of their choice in designated bilingual regions."
Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

It sounds like French is their native language and it is not yours. It is much easier for them to communicate quickly na defficently with each other in their native language so I do not see a problem with it at all. You are in their country. If you want to stay "in the loop" as you say, then politley tell your nurse "excuse me, can you please explain to me what I just missed. My French is not very good." 

Canada's native language is English.

mary841108
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:08 AM
3 moms liked this

nope. my doctor is from Korea and he swears because of my maiden name that i am korean too (its funny actually. "you korean! Hoy is Korean name!") so he speaks to me in korean. he knows i cant understand a damn word he is saying so i just laugh and he tells me 'oh we bring out your korean sooner or later!"

EmmaGlenn20
by Canadian Sweetheart on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Lol that's so cute!! Haha

Quoting mary841108:

nope. my doctor is from Korea and he swears because of my maiden name that i am korean too (its funny actually. "you korean! Hoy is Korean name!") so he speaks to me in korean. he knows i cant understand a damn word he is saying so i just laugh and he tells me 'oh we bring out your korean sooner or later!"

Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM

But apparently your hospital is. They seem to be rather accomadating to you. As I mentioned, it is most likely easier for them to communicate in french-THEIR language (even if it's not yours). I am sure yu can imagine, they must communicate quikly with each other soemtiems under great stress, may I add so that it is easier for them to speak in their native tongue rather than trying to translate. Again, if you politley ask them to please translate for you, I am sure they would do so gladly.

I wish you well in your delievery!

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

We're in Canada lol. Ontario isn't even officially bilingual. 

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

It sounds like French is their native language and it is not yours. It is much easier for them to communicate quickly na defficently with each other in their native language so I do not see a problem with it at all. You are in their country. If you want to stay "in the loop" as you say, then politley tell your nurse "excuse me, can you please explain to me what I just missed. My French is not very good." 

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:12 AM

um, no it's not.  It's FRENCH and English, particularly in Ottawa where this doctor was.  Ottawa is bordered to Quebec and almost exclusively French Province.

To not expect them to speak French is ridiculous to be honest.

The OP made it seem like the doctor was speaking some  foreign language, but quite honestly where she lives for them to speak french is quite normal.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Canada's native language is English.

EmmaGlenn20
by Canadian Sweetheart on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

Thanks for the advice :) 

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

But apparently your hospital is. They seem to be rather accomadating to you. As I mentioned, it is most likely easier for them to communicate in french-THEIR language (even if it's not yours). I am sure yu can imagine, they must communicate quikly with each other soemtiems under great stress, may I add so that it is easier for them to speak in their native tongue rather than trying to translate. Again, if you politley ask them to please translate for you, I am sure they would do so gladly.

I wish you well in your delievery!

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

We're in Canada lol. Ontario isn't even officially bilingual. 

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

Luna091306
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Maybe. The dr that delivered my ds spoke English but the whole time I was pushing she was talking to her nurses about her daughter and what they did that day. :/ It's like I was in an episode of Grey's Anatomy. I found that very rude. My nurse (the hospital's not one of the OBGYN's) actually had to tell them to stop talking because I was having a contraction. It really bothered me when they realized the cord was wrapped around ds' neck and they started talking about having to resuscitate. I don't think they ever said anything directly to me, it's like I wasn't even in the room.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

LovelyMommy24
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I didn't think about it like that, I would probably be in the same boat now that you say that. Good luck! LOL. 

Quoting EmmaGlenn20:

I can read French fluently but I'm very slow when it comes to spoken French.

Quoting LovelyMommy24:

I would feel out of the loop too but then again if it's french I might know what they're saying. Spanish on the other hand, yes I would definitely feel in the least like I really wanted to know what they were saying - especially since it's essentially about me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured