Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think my fiance is going to be a SAHD!!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 2 Replies

I had mentioned the possibility to him a couple of times.  At first, I could tell he was instantly turned off by the thought. I knew why. He was raised in a culture that is very "gender role" oriented and that is not what "men" do. 

I didn't push the issue because I know, personally, that not everyone is cut out to be a SAHP.  I am miserable trying to stay home. I need to work outside of the home.

Yesterday, he just brought it up out of nowhere.  He told me that the closer it gets to time and the more excited he gets about the baby, the more appealing it is to him.  The idea of not having to worry about who is taking care of our baby provides him comfort. 

He finally came out and told me that it is not because he doesn't want to and not because he doesn't think it would be best. He said he is worried about being judged.  I asked him, "Judged by who?".  He said, "Anyone...everyone.  I don't know."  I told him that these days, we are seeing it more and more. Families are making choices about what is best and sometimes it is more feasible for the dad to be at home instead of the mom.  It used to be that the men practically ALWAYS made more because wages weren't as fair and men were groomed to be the sole provider.  Things have changed. 

I really hope he decides to because it will provide us both with a little comfort to know our baby is being fully taken care of by people that absolutely love him and want what is best for him.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
TrouserMouse
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Awww, no one is sharing in my excitement.  :(  Boo.  I feel good that our baby will be taken care of by daddy.  :)

TrouserMouse
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:25 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)